A3 Hood

royjk

Reaction score
Well it seems Audi Germany has at long last resolved the problem with wear on the hood of the A3 Cabrio. I have been waiting for over nine months for my car to be recalled to have a new hood fitted, job being done when I return from my hols at end of Sept.:applaus:

Last edited:
the problem is that the hood is convertible. and when it lowers everyone can see how stupid you look in an A3 cabrio :p

Stupid comments like that are typically why i rarely vist ASN these days.

Last edited:
Firstly sub39h is not worth a reply.
Basicaly there were a number A3 cabs throught europe that had a problem with the hood wearing, the hood looks as if it was about 20 years old, there are a number of spots where the outer layer has worn down to the second layer & it as also has become very badly marked. Obviously the hood is rubing in places when being lowered & raised but Audi could not figure out why it was only happening on some A3's (I will stress that it only on a few of the earlier A3's those built in late 2008-2009 but it was spread throughout the whole of europe). It obviously spoilt the look of the car when the hood was raised as the wear was vary noticeable. (No need for stupid comments about the A3 Cab, love mine & would most certainly buy another. Frequently wonder if the same comments would be made if it was an S3 cab). Give Audi there due it has taken almost a year for them to resolve the problem & I had a recall on mine within days of the problem being resolved.

Last edited:
i'm just messing mate. suppose i didn't make it clear that i'm anti convertible full stop. wasn't just having a dig cos it's an A3 cab specifically. but if you're happy with it what does what i think matter anyway hey? glad you got your issue sorted :thumbsup:

I hope the problem will be resolved accross the board.Leicester Audi are still trying to fob me off.Had hood fitted in nov 09 but problem was back by june this year

I beleive Audi had been replacing the hoods up to the begining of this year but then Audi Germany instructed Audi UK to stop hood replacement until they had resolved the problem. It seems as it is only in the past few weeks that they have again sanctioned replacement hoods. One can only presume they have come up with another fix or a modified hood as the first fix they had last year which was to stop the hood closing to much did not work. Hope to get more info when mine is done or when I am down at Sinclaire Audi today. Wil post any further info I get.

I'd like to open this up again - yes I realise this over 6 years since the problems. I've just bought a 2009 a3 convertible in immaculate condition only done 29000 miles, but have noticed the hood is rubbing very badly and already through the outer layer - especially on the passenger side at the rear. Is there any way I can check if this problem should/has already been looked at for my car. Can anyone give me some advise/info on how to go about this please thanks.