1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Handling !!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by tommer, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tommer

tommer Black-Out A3

[Sep 3, 2009]
    Hi ,
    I'm having trouble with my A3's handling, I've got 18" wheels with quite wide tyres.
    But the back-end is really 'twitchy' and always steps out, even when not taking corners that quickly, as for driving in the wet, it is lethal!

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

:blackrs4:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 30, 2015]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 3, 2009]
    Assuming she is 2WD then i would look at tyre pressures/condition , Shock/spring condition and finaly the one that fixed my car after doing all of the above the axle bushes, about £25 a side to buy and a 7/10 DIY depending how handy you are and what tools you have available
  4. Bignick

Bignick Member

[Sep 3, 2009]
    Did you get the tyres free with a set of new alloys? If you did bin them because i did the same and after putting some avon zz3's on it handles amazing now.
  5. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Sep 3, 2009]
    What tyres are you running, maybe its the tyres that are your problem, I have Eagle F1 GSD3s and they are bang on!!!
  6. Pooch121

Pooch121 Steady Eddy

[Sep 4, 2009]
    agreed,

nine times out of 10 its either smartprice shoes or pressure, check the tread on the whole width of the tyre too, if thats all good gota be the bushings
  7. SixDegrees

SixDegrees Member

[Sep 4, 2009]
    Also what alloys, what size and width of tyre. Could have wrong size tyres, wrong off-set, etc etc all go to making the rear end feel twitchy.

Also, enw tyres can feel like that for a few hundred miles.

I put RE050As on the R32 a few years ago and it felt like the rear was wiggling behind me all the time, even on dead straight road. It settled down after abut 200miles but it wasn't nice and I did think of ditching the tyres!

:)