1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 gearbox changes

Keiran Dec 19, 2011

1. Keiran

Keiran Member

I have an a3 1.8 turbo sport Quattro. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any 6 speed gearboxes that will fit my car.

2. camscockle20vT

camscockle20vT The stigs ugly brother

Do you mean are there any forsale? Id suggest contacting an ebay seller breaking a quattro A3. And if you mean what code gear box then contanct a guy called reesey on here and he may have one forsale.

3. Keiran

Keiran Member

No I just ment like my a3 is a 5 speed so would I b able to stick a 6 speed box of another a3 or s3 onto my engine, cheers.

4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

Yes, you could fit a 6 speed box onto yours, although I dont really see what you'd be gaining to be honest1st gear seems to be too short on te 6 speed, and 6th is about the same as 5th on a 5 speed

5. Keiran

Keiran Member

Oh rite got ya mate cheers. Just seems like the gear ratios are to short on the 5 speed. Thought the ratios would b higher on a 6 speed. I see what u mean thow so cheers.

6. Prawn

too short? the 6 speed is just the same in terms of top speed, I think 5th on the 5 and 6th on the 6 are pretty much the same gear.

the 1.8T doesn't need 6 speed in my opinion, it has a decent spread of torque to haul you along fine in any gear. Any time I've driven 6 speed 1.8T cars I just get annoyed at how often you need to change gear! 1st is also useless as it's too short, and the rest are just closer together.

7. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

5 speed boxes you'll hit 60 in 2nd where as the 6 speed you need to change up before you hit 60 and the limiter.

8. Keiran

Keiran Member

Got ya so better of sticking with a 5 speed then. Cheers lads.

9. Prawn

Believe it or not, you can actually get bloody close to 80 in 2nd on a 5 speed box! I'm fairly sure a rev limit of 7800rpm (hybrid or BT setup) would see you 80 in 2nd on a 5 speed.

Not that top speeds in gear count, I just don't feel the turbo delivery of the 1.8T warrants a 6 speed, something like hondas K20 that you need to keep on the boil yes, but a torquey turbo motor not so much

10. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

I hate the 6 speed box in the S3 personally. I think it has been badly designed and as for ratios leaves a lot to be desired. I can now hit 60+ in 2nd, but that's only due to a raised rev limiter.

I would love a 5 speed box and the 4 wheel drive :(

11. Keiran

Keiran Member

Got ya mate. Settled my problem. I thought a six speed would have been better all round but by the sounds of things a six speed box would be worse. Think I'll stick with my 5 speed then. Cheers lads