1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 flywheel

dgannon69 Feb 26, 2007

1. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

Hi guys, just bought a genuine A3 flywheel of ebay.. it came off a 99 plate 1.8T it was very cheap so i thought why the hell not!

As its second hand i know it may not be brilliant but as i've been worrying mine is going to bugger up soon i got it as a spare.

Are the flywheels in the prefacelift models dual mass or not?

If anyone is in desperate need for one and it appears that this one is ok when i get it in the post then i will sell it on...

Regards
    Dave

2. LaSarthe&Back

LaSarthe&Back Member

Yeah they are all dual mass. IIRC only the MkII golf G60's had single mass fly wheels.

Incidentally they fit A3's and are a good mod for extracting a few extra WHP.

3. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

ok mate thanks, thats interesting to know. how much extra WHP would you be looking at using the G60 single mass?

Just 2 or 3 hp or something noticable like 10hp...?

Cheers
    Dave

4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Be careful, a single mass flywheel can make pulling away and traffic jams etc a bit of an arse.

5. HTC

HTC Active Member

Most of the early VW/Audi range had single mass flywheels. My A3 is the first car I've owned with a dual mass.

Having said that, I've got a lightened/balanced G60 single mass flywheel with a VR6 sports clutch and I love it. Car revs easier now and no more annoying clutch slip.
    The pedal is surprisingly much lighter than the original setup and I wouldn't say you need to give it any more revs to pull away. That may be different for 4WD systems. Reverse can judder, but its a small price to pay for the benefits.