1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 flywheel

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by dgannon69, Feb 26, 2007.

1. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

Hi guys, just bought a genuine A3 flywheel of ebay.. it came off a 99 plate 1.8T it was very cheap so i thought why the hell not!

As its second hand i know it may not be brilliant but as i've been worrying mine is going to bugger up soon i got it as a spare.

Are the flywheels in the prefacelift models dual mass or not?

If anyone is in desperate need for one and it appears that this one is ok when i get it in the post then i will sell it on...

Regards
    Dave
  2. LaSarthe&Back

LaSarthe&Back Member

Yeah they are all dual mass. IIRC only the MkII golf G60's had single mass fly wheels.

Incidentally they fit A3's and are a good mod for extracting a few extra WHP.
  3. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

ok mate thanks, thats interesting to know. how much extra WHP would you be looking at using the G60 single mass?

Just 2 or 3 hp or something noticable like 10hp...?

Cheers
    Dave
  4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Be careful, a single mass flywheel can make pulling away and traffic jams etc a bit of an arse.
  5. HTC

HTC Active Member

Most of the early VW/Audi range had single mass flywheels. My A3 is the first car I've owned with a dual mass.

Having said that, I've got a lightened/balanced G60 single mass flywheel with a VR6 sports clutch and I love it. Car revs easier now and no more annoying clutch slip.
    The pedal is surprisingly much lighter than the original setup and I wouldn't say you need to give it any more revs to pull away. That may be different for 4WD systems. Reverse can judder, but its a small price to pay for the benefits.