A3 Face lift Headlight problems. HELP

a3rider

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently went from a 8p 06 front to a newer shape everything went ok. Now i keep getting a fault code saying that i got no

headlights on the computer. How do i re-code them anyone got any links or ADVICE :)

also my passenger airbag is off can i turn it back on using a vagcom?

Thank YOU

Last edited:
Have you connected the headlights up properly & coded accordingly?

Have you connected the headlights up properly & coded accordingly?

CORRECTION FROM THE ABOVE POST! THE PARKING LIGHTS DONT WORK!!
Yes everything else works fine headlights, high beam, fog lights and indicators! its just the parking lights don't work. Had a vag-com guy come have a look at it today he couldnt code it, he said i need a resistance pack because the comp thinks the lights are out due to a difference in voltage. :( is he right? and what does that mean exactly?

The car knows what the resistance should be across the side light bulb. It is saying the resistance is wrong so you either havnt got a bulb in/have the wrong bulb in/ or have an LED in instead of a bulb. Basically the computer has cut the power to the bulb because it thinks its blown due to getting the wrong resistance signal back from it.

Thats a bit simplified but it should give you a clue :)

The car knows what the resistance should be across the side light bulb. It is saying the resistance is wrong so you either havnt got a bulb in/have the wrong bulb in/ or have an LED in instead of a bulb. Basically the computer has cut the power to the bulb because it thinks its blown due to getting the wrong resistance signal back from it.

Thats a bit simplified but it should give you a clue :)

Yeah thanx that helps a little, how do i fix it? what are my options?

What bulb do you have in there at the moment? As paddy said the parking light is the sidelights/DRLs on the facelift so make sure that is using the correct bulb.

The headlight came with all the bulbs so i just installed it, didnt change anything else.

if the bulbs are correct and standard and i am guessing you dont have the bi-xenon with LED DRL then i would say that the DRLs are either not wired in correctly (that they are plugged into the wrong plug/pin) or not coded in correctly. now as the 'coding guy confirms it is not a coding issue then i would double check the wiring... i will try and have a look a little later on ELSA to see where its meant to be wired.

Reactions: bowdizle
They are standard not bi-xenon, the DRL dont even turn on i dont know if they even should as you can see from the link should they turn on as they are next to the indicators. He couldnt find anything in regards parking lights on the vag-com. Let me know, Thank you so much. :)

the DRLs should switch on when they are set to be on the light switch... the 'Parking light' fault indicates something is wrong with the DRL bulbs or connection. Have you got the actual error code from the 'coding guy'?

I dont know the coding for the facelift halogen lights off the top of my head but im sure someone here that has them can advise.

Silly question but you do have a DRL or auto position on your light switch ????

If any you guys looking for a ce module 8p0 970 279k there is one posted in classified section for sale. post no 52. its not marked as sold so may be worth a look.

I dont think they are LED DRL's, mine go across the top of the light..

the DRLs should switch on when they are set to be on the light switch... the 'Parking light' fault indicates something is wrong with the DRL bulbs or connection. Have you got the actual error code from the 'coding guy'?

I dont know the coding for the facelift halogen lights off the top of my head but im sure someone here that has them can advise.

No Sorry i dont have the acutal error code from the guy. They DRL dont bother as long as they dont send a fault error to the computer when i turn the car on.

Silly question but you do have a DRL or auto position on your light switch ????

I have the DRL switch with 0, I, II and III optiions.

Im pretty sure the 0, I II and III are the headlight levelers. U prob need a new headlight switch as im sure when i say this as i have a 06 plate which came with factory bi-xenon so i had the drl and my headlight control unit had off, auto then side lights, them dipped beam. to the left of that i had drl switch witch is on a roll swith 0 or I and then dial for instrument brightness. Now i have done 8p3 facelift with led xenons, and everything went smoothly. So i think your problem is because you have the halogen style headlamp switch which in 8p2 model didnt have drl unless bi-xenons. so to ramble on.

Google Images my style

guessing ur style
Google Images

Im pretty sure the 0, I II and III are the headlight levelers. U prob need a new headlight switch as im sure when i say this as i have a 06 plate which came with factory bi-xenon so i had the drl and my headlight control unit had off, auto then side lights, them dipped beam. to the left of that i had drl switch witch is on a roll swith 0 or I and then dial for instrument brightness. Now i have done 8p3 facelift with led xenons, and everything went smoothly. So i think your problem is because you have the halogen style headlamp switch which in 8p2 model didnt have drl unless bi-xenons. so to ramble on.

Google Images my style

guessing ur style
Google Images

You are right i do have the headlight switch quoted above, so all i need is a new switch and everything should work fine?? any ideas where i can get one cheap?

i dont know pal... Im just using logik it still may need coding. If all the equipment u need is there then ur already on a win. Id look on ebay pal. or try audi themselves but i cant see that being cheap

A3rider
Now you know why i asked if you had the right switch :)......Send a PM to Nige, NHN (post number 2) he will see you right with a switch and all the details on fitting and coding, if you are anywhere near Kent or SE he will probably be able to get it working as well.

i dont know pal... Im just using logik it still may need coding. If all the equipment u need is there then ur already on a win. Id look on ebay pal. or try audi themselves but i cant see that being cheap

Are you headlights like mine? with the DRL on the bottom next to the indicator? Thank you so much.
A3rider
Now you know why i asked if you had the right switch :)......Send a PM to Nige, NHN (post number 2) he will see you right with a switch and all the details on fitting and coding, if you are anywhere near Kent or SE he will probably be able to get it working as well.
Im so Sorry mate, i thought that was for the DRL didnt know there was a new switch. Nah im not :(

well i think its certainly a step in right direction. your car switch doesnt have feature of DRL so your car wont know what that feature of headlight is if that makes sense. On mine the parking light is basically the drl on but set dim so one side light in theory. So if youve added the part to your car then makes sense needs the control unit updating. i dont think it will work straight away, ul still need to code it and you may need upgraded modual, like paddy says speak to NHN. Ive seen alot of posts and there full of praise for his help and workmanship.

You really need to speak to NHN. It may be poss to wire your DRL's in to the side lights, i doubt your dash loom will have wiring for the DRL switch..also remember there are other versions of that switch depending if you have auto lights etc. I know HNH has done this fix recently.

well i think its certainly a step in right direction. your car switch doesnt have feature of DRL so your car wont know what that feature of headlight is if that makes sense. On mine the parking light is basically the drl on but set dim so one side light in theory. So if youve added the part to your car then makes sense needs the control unit updating. i dont think it will work straight away, ul still need to code it and you may need upgraded modual, like paddy says speak to NHN. Ive seen alot of posts and there full of praise for his help and workmanship.
ALright thank you, all get the switch and change it and see if that helps. Ill keep you posted.

You really need to speak to NHN. It may be poss to wire your DRL's in to the side lights, i doubt your dash loom will have wiring for the DRL switch..also remember there are other versions of that switch depending if you have auto lights etc. I know HNH has done this fix recently.
I dont think i have the auto, im not really sure how would i check?

if you have auto lights then your light switch would have auto just like the picture i sent. I think you have lights off then side lights and then dipped beam. if you have auto.. it will be off, auto then side lights then dipped

if you have auto lights then your light switch would have auto just like the picture i sent. I think you have lights off then side lights and then dipped beam. if you have auto.. it will be off, auto then side lights then dipped
Yeah your right, when i turn for side lights nothing happens thats why im getting the error code for parking lights then.

ahh Alright, mine are the version before. So if i get the switch it should fix my parking light error code.

no,
the switch is just that... a control switch for on and off... you have an error which is different!
i have been running my bi-xenons with DRLs using the old headlight switch that does not have a DRL switch and all that means is that i cannot turn the DRLs off manually... they switch off when the headlights turn on and then the DRLs will turn on again if the headlights are switched off again.

it sounds as though your DRL isnt wired or coded properly... the light switch is a different issue altogether

oh and also just fitting a new headlight switch wont do it as the car never had DRLs so you would then need to wire in the new DRL position from the light switch to the CE module...

A3Rider... when you had the facelift headlights fitted did you follow ELSA to wire in the DRLs? unfortunately i dont have ELSA installed on this PC but i can try and check for you tomorrow from my laptop.

this is the light switch you would need by the way...
no auto position... for facelift cars with halogen lights and DRL switch!
Google Translate

edit: this is for LHD models

Yeah so you coded it when you turn the car on they turn on and when you turn the low beam they turn of, sounds like a good option. My main priority is getting rid of the parking light error :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

BUMP :)

Can anyone upload a pic where the lights turn on when you put it in the parking position little confused cant find a pic what should light up. Would really help. Is it the DRL or something else had a look old ones had a small bulb next to the main beam new ones dont :(