A3 (EIGHT PEE!) or Mini Cooper S.... which is quicker??

So to get this somewhere near to the original question, let me ask this.......................

If you had to bet £100 on an off the line drag up to 300 meters between a Mini Cooper S turbo, a Cooper S Supercharged, and an A3 2.0TFSI DSG, who would your money be on???

Is the STIG driving?

Over quarter of a mile, the car stats are in favour of the Audi, so if the driver was the same across all three, my money would be on the Audi. But it's so dam close between those cars that I'm not sure i'd like that punt much!

no seriously.. i reckon the aythree might just do it.. pure guess..

Fair point.... although it isn't as conclusive as 'the figures state what they state' and that's it....... i have evidence to contradict that.

I suggest you run your car up against a turbo'd cooper S mid range and see how much you pull away, my guess is 'not as much as you think' given what i know, and dragging mid range doesnt require as much skill as off the line, i'm sure you will agree...take away the corners and the off the line skill and all your left with is your gears and right foot (and possibly traction issues :) ) - bear in mind i was annoyed as much as the next bloke when i saw how close that Mini got to me, or should i say, how little my lead was

oh and the 1/4 mile times are inaccurate, i've witnessed sub 15's from a standard S

and again for others on here...no point in drawing a comparison between supercharged and turbo'd coopers, they are totally different beasts even though BM's own figures set them side by side

I'd best not in mine to be honest, it wouldn't be a fair race ;) But i'm sure you're right, on the road and real world driving always appears to be a lot closer than the figures suggest.

And you're absolutley right about the difference between a supercharge'd and turbo'd Mini Cooper S, using the same website for comparison suggests a fair old difference on the track.

Mini Cooper S vs Mini Cooper S (Mk II) - FastestLaps.com

Nope, just me planting my foot and letting 'S' mode do the rest.... against your average driver in a bit of a boy racer mood.

In that case certainly the Audi, as the Mini would have to be spot on with every gear change.

Not a big difference but i do pull away from a cooper S

I drive a Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 quattro, but it is remapped to 200

In fairness I find 'S' mode in automatics rather weak, they always change early because the car wants to be more efficient, stick it in manual with paddle shift and its not too bad but apart from that gimme a manual any day of the week, and ESP don't get me started :/ can't pull off the line without going 'dun duhh dun duh' everytime with it ON stupid settings lol, a good clutch foot and you're sorted plus the ability to take each gear to red line

I have a good question :D albeit a stupid one too hehe

Mini Cooper S turbo vs Cooper S supercharged vs A3 vs TT RS :eyebrows::eyebrows:

I have a good question :D albeit a stupid one too hehe

Mini Cooper S turbo vs Cooper S supercharged vs A3 vs TT RS :eyebrows::eyebrows:

vs. R8 vs. Veyron vs. Eurofighter Jet (vs. Chuck Norris in running spikes)

In fairness I find 'S' mode in automatics rather weak, they always change early because the car wants to be more efficient, stick it in manual with paddle shift and its not too bad but apart from that gimme a manual any day of the week

Have you driven a DSG?? Sounds like you haven't.
'S' mode red lines each gear (well definitely 1st and 2nd, haven't paid much attention to the rest of the gears) and stays out of 6th throughout the range.
Efficiency is definitely not on the box's mind when it's in that mode.

Have you driven a DSG?? Sounds like you haven't.
'S' mode red lines each gear (well definitely 1st and 2nd, haven't paid much attention to the rest of the gears) and stays out of 6th throughout the range.
Efficiency is definitely not on the box's mind when it's in that mode.

Yeah both a friends 2.0 TDI and my dads RS6 are DSG and I found personally they weren't as quick as a manual would be, all though the RS6 cant really get much quicker lmfao
I've not had alot of time in DSGs though so I don't have alot of experience just saying from what I have, I'd take a manual over auto in anything, I just find it more enjoyable

i owned a cooper S fella and also ran against it with my misus driving that against my stage 1 S3 which matches an 8P S3 (i have done so 3 times against 3 different S3's)

not being funny but unless you have a constructive comment and evidence....

Come on mate you want evidence...yet you are saying you drove one with your missus and you are assuring us its quick based on that?

My evidence is the same as yours - im basing my opinion on the fact that 2 of my mates have had cooper s' (and both commented they thought they would be quicker) and another pal still has his S3 which used to demolish both cooper S. Everytime. Oh, and my old Clio 182 cup used to be clearly quicker than the cooper s too, but the S3 was quicker again than the clio.

I dont think much of the cooper S in terms of performance, I think the 'works' is pretty decent but the cooper S is really not that fast a car.

Last edited:
Yeah both a friends 2.0 TDI and my dads RS6 are DSG and I found personally they weren't as quick as a manual would be, all though the RS6 cant really get much quicker lmfao
I've not had alot of time in DSGs though so I don't have alot of experience just saying from what I have, I'd take a manual over auto in anything, I just find it more enjoyable

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS???!!! :huh:

Fair enough.
I've driven both for long enough and for me the DSG just feels quicker in every way.
I think what I like most is that when needing to pull away from standstill quickly and go through the gears (like when racing Cooper S's!!) I don't have to worry about crappy gear changes/lifting of the clutch too early and crunching gears/etc.

I was sceptical about getting a DSG at first, but now I can't see the point in owning a manual.

An S3 would be significantly faster, but a stock 170 TDI would probably see the mini's tail lights.

And about DSG, it's virtually impossible to shift faster with a manual gearbox.

Last edited:
Ohhhh I thought DSG was what all the auto boxes were called lmao, guess thats me made a fool off xD
but I'd still take a manual, even if its impossible to shift faster in a manual, I know of one being that can

Some say he has a hydraulic knee :) hehehe

Ohhhh I thought DSG was what all the auto boxes were called lmao, guess thats me made a fool off xD
but I'd still take a manual, even if its impossible to shift faster in a manual, I know of one being that can

Some say he has a hydraulic knee :) hehehe

Margaret Thatcher?

Margaret Thatcher?

Naked on a cold day?
Austin_Danger_Powers_Mike_Myers.jpg

Not a big difference but i do pull away from a cooper S

I drive a Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 quattro, but it is remapped to 200

Mid range is where your poke is, im guessing that from a standing start you'll run out of enough puff to keep it going into triple figs as with most diesels (for this race anyway)...using the analogy that diesels use the turbo more than their petrol counterparts due to the none turbo diesels being vasting inferior to a non aspirited petrol engine.... ive had a 170 mid range giving me grief, couldnt pass but i couldnt shake it either....dunno if it was mapped or not, lights were blacked out so possible

I'd best not in mine to be honest, it wouldn't be a fair race ;) But i'm sure you're right, on the road and real world driving always appears to be a lot closer than the figures suggest.

And you're absolutley right about the difference between a supercharge'd and turbo'd Mini Cooper S, using the same website for comparison suggests a fair old difference on the track.

Mini Cooper S vs Mini Cooper S (Mk II) - FastestLaps.com

glad we agree on something ;) i mistook you with your sig showing 2010 plate, always make the assumption that all cars in warranty leave their cars alone :)

So to get this somewhere near to the original question, let me ask this.......................

If you had to bet £100 on an off the line drag up to 300 meters between a Mini Cooper S turbo, a Cooper S Supercharged, and an A3 2.0TFSI DSG, who would your money be on???

Id bet the turbo Cooper S, although subject to the start, reason being the cooper has very little lag and is ****** light when compared. Dont know about the supercharged version, late on that will get wiped out, thats the best of my knowledge. Although that said, it wouldnt suprise me if they were all neck and neck up to 300 metres, 1st and 2nd dont make much difference at this level

Whats the assumed 1/4 mile for the A3 in this spec?

Come on mate you want evidence...yet you are saying you drove one with your missus and you are assuring us its quick based on that?

My evidence is the same as yours - im basing my opinion on the fact that 2 of my mates have had cooper s' (and both commented they thought they would be quicker) and another pal still has his S3 which used to demolish both cooper S. Everytime. Oh, and my old Clio 182 cup used to be clearly quicker than the cooper s too, but the S3 was quicker again than the clio.

I dont think much of the cooper S in terms of performance, I think the 'works' is pretty decent but the cooper S is really not that fast a car.

There you go again, your mixing your cooper S cars, if you think you would stand half a chance with 182...you really need your head testing, you stand a better chance of converting Elton John to hetrosexuality.....

i provided you with a scenario where i know the Cooper S was able to stay within a certain range of me, nothing more.....

if your mates had the supercharged version then they will want it to be quicker, mid range they are gash as the power delivery is much lore spread out - but then i would think the cooper S supercharged or not would have a blind man driving if a 182 beat it - seriously, i've ruined so many of those clios in mine

ive had a 170 mid range giving me grief, couldnt pass but i couldnt shake it either....dunno if it was mapped or not, lights were blacked out so possible

How so?? Do they give away free lamin x with remaps these days??

Whats the assumed 1/4 mile for the A3 in this spec?

14.9 seconds according to fastestlaps. However, they've got the 0-100km/h wrong by almost half a second slower.... so they quote 7.3 instead of 6.9.

There you go again, your mixing your cooper S cars, if you think you would stand half a chance with 182...you really need your head testing, you stand a better chance of converting Elton John to hetrosexuality.....

i provided you with a scenario where i know the Cooper S was able to stay within a certain range of me, nothing more.....

if your mates had the supercharged version then they will want it to be quicker, mid range they are gash as the power delivery is much lore spread out - but then i would think the cooper S supercharged or not would have a blind man driving if a 182 beat it - seriously, i've ruined so many of those clios in mine

Didn't do too badly against the 2.0T

Last edited by a moderator:
14.9 seconds according to fastestlaps. However, they've got the 0-100km/h wrong by almost half a second slower.... so they quote 7.3 instead of 6.9.

The numbers on FastestLaps are not manufacturers quoted figures, they are the fastest times achieved by reputable car testers, like Auto Car, EVO, etc etc, so sometimes they will be better or worse than what Audi or whoever quote.

Aren`t MINIs girls cars anyway?

Yes they are, which I suppose makes this whole argument redundant given that any race of the lights against a chick in a MINI is going to be an easy win whatever you are driving, unless you are a pony driver in which case you deserve to die a horrible, painful, perhaps slightly prolonged, death....in public.

:laugh:
Damn straight

Shouldnt it 'beetle v mini', or girl v girl, or girl on girl....err

Ok mate. I only done it a number of times when I had my 182 cup. I dont know why you are taking such offence to FACTS.

I had a numerous goes against 2 different people with 2 different coopers s and beat them. Everytime. The manufacturers figures also back this up.

Maybe they both just weren't trying, seeing as your girlfriend managed to keep up with you or whatever it was, and the manufacturers figures are wrong for the cooper S just because its too fast lol?

Seriously, a clio 182 cup is the quicker car, I dont know why you cant understand that? And an S3 is 1000% quicker still than a 182 cup. I know because I lost EVERYTIME in a straight line against the S3.

A standard cooper S could never ever keep up with a 260+ bhp S3 on an A-road/motorway.

If you say so :laugh:

How so?? Do they give away free lamin x with remaps these days??
Well if you want to take me literally sweety..... any modification that isn't OEM, you will most likely find a further mod such as a map - this isn't rocket science - plus he would have been stupid to attempt a race with me if he was ina standard 170, althoughi know they are fast, they aren't S3 pace without a map....

Didn't do too badly against the 2.0T

nice vid......can only speak from my experience and can honestly say i've never had a traffic light grand prix with one, my experiences were all rolling

Yes..... misus had one and it's not a manly drive :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you want to take me literally sweety..... any modification that isn't OEM, you will most likely find a further mod such as a map - this isn't rocket science

LOL @ your "logic"!! :lmfao:

If tinted lights = remap, then I hate to think what it means if someone has tinted windows. Boeing 747 engine nestled beneath a heavily modified bonnet?? :idea:

The numbers on FastestLaps are not manufacturers quoted figures, they are the fastest times achieved by reputable car testers, like Auto Car, EVO, etc etc, so sometimes they will be better or worse than what Audi or whoever quote.

Well I question their reputable sources, because my car does 6.9 seconds to 100 km/h almost everytime (vagcom timed).

LOL @ your "logic"!! :lmfao:

If tinted lights = remap, then I hate to think what it means if someone has tinted windows. Boeing 747 engine nestled beneath a heavily modified bonnet?? :idea:

I really genuinely thought you were taking the p**s as opposed to questioning my logic..... ok lets take this to laymans terms as you clearly are missing the boat.....

Car owner one who owns a totally standard car

Car owner two who clearly has mods

Statistically which is more likely to have further modifications - like i said, not rocket science just the powers of elimination

Yes they are, which I suppose makes this whole argument redundant given that any race of the lights against a chick in a MINI is going to be an easy win whatever you are driving, unless you are a pony driver in which case you deserve to die a horrible, painful, perhaps slightly prolonged, death....in public.

I said this ages ago haha

but I happen to know of a few girls who are nuts behind the wheel, more so two of my cousins, one tried racing me in her 1.9TDi A4 and the other has an ABT kitted A5 3.0TDI

but I agree if theyre driving a Mini then theyre not gonna be driving about flat out everywhere, plus it SHOULD be only fit girls allowed them, you drive past one 50% of the time and the driver is reasonably hot, most of the other times its just stupid old people and guys who need to get a more manly car :eyebrows:

BMW Mini should have a no over 28's and Fitties ONLY policy when selling them :) haha

I really genuinely thought you were taking the p**s as opposed to questioning my logic..... ok lets take this to laymans terms as you clearly are missing the boat.....

Car owner one who owns a totally standard car

Car owner two who clearly has mods

Statistically which is more likely to have further modifications - like i said, not rocket science just the powers of elimination

I was taking the p*ss. But I was also taking the p*ss out of your logic.

If you want to assume that a car owner is likely to have his car mapped based on the fact that he tinted his rear lights then that's your shout.
I, on the other hand, firmly believe that the probability of the two being linked is so low it's negligible.

Just take a second to think about the mods you are talking about. One is a very quick/simple/cheap/risk free/no knock on additional cost (insurance) mod, the other is not.

However, if your logic is spot on, there must be lots of mapped Mark IV Fiestas in Dagenham because they've all done their lights like that.
Next time I'm passing through that way on my way to Lakeside and one pulls up next to me at the traffic lights, revving his engine and pushing his mahooosive fluffy dice to the side so he can see out of the windscreen, I'll be sure to avoid taking him on in a race.

Thanks for the heads up.