1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 DRL's

A3_SSS Jun 15, 2009

1. A3_SSS

A3_SSS Member

Wondering if you knowledgable folks can answer the following:
    On a A3 with no auto lights ...
    Do the DRL's blink when indicating as per A5?
    Do they stay on when headlights are on?
    If yes to the above, do they dim when headlights are on?

Cheers.

2. AuldReekie

AuldReekie Member

I think the problem is that you haven't specified what year (MY) of vehicle you have as there are differences between pre-face lift (filament bulbs) and face lift (LEDs).

I have never heard of A3 DRLs being used as turn signals in the UK, maybe USA but couldn't say. On pre-face lift the DRLs go out when you switch to side, through to dipped. I think this is because the DRL and sides share the same reflector and would be like a 'lazer' (in a Austin Powers stylee) if they were both on at the same time.

I am sure that LED DRLs stay on irrespective, so I can only assume that they dim.

Hopefully one of the lucky face lift guys can clarify that for you.

3. mhill

mhill Member

my LED DRL's dim when the Xenon's come on and side that you indicate to dims when indicating

4. pns2007

pns2007 Moonstone Grey VCDS Map User

I have DRL's that aren't LED's and yes they do dim when you indicate. The same happens with cars with LED DRL's as I've seen them. It is however a function you can turn on or off with VCDs

5. AuldReekie

AuldReekie Member

I am sure he didn't ask that mate :uhm:, from what I can see he is asking if the DRLs act effectively as indicators, i.e. flash. That's how I interpret blink anyway.

6. pns2007

pns2007 Moonstone Grey VCDS Map User

Yea your right sorry, just re-read it again :redface:

7. AuldReekie

AuldReekie Member

However, I learned that the DRLs dim when indicating so a win win situation! :salute:

8. FL1X

FL1X Member

You can change the drl behaviour in vag com to blink dim go off etc

Other then that I think what pns said is correct they dim as to allow the indicator to be noticed

F

9. A3_SSS

A3_SSS Member

Appologies for the vagueness. I meant the current LED DRL's on the new facelift i.e. Black Edition.

Would the dealer be able to change the DRL's so that they don't dim during indication and stay on when Headlights are on?

10. AuldReekie

AuldReekie Member

Gauging from what pns2007 and FL1X have said I suppose the dealer would be able to, but that would cost. There are lots of helpful people on here in the VAG-COM section who may be able to help you out at the cost of some tokens to cover travel costs, etc. Maybe try there?

11. mhill

mhill Member

Had a poke around in vag com last night but couldn't find anything, any ideas where this option is?

12. frenchy2475

frenchy2475 Tetbury Audi Parts Man

See I dont think we would be able to as its a safety issue.

13. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Frenchy is correct, it is this way for safety given the indicators need to be clearly seen above other surround lighting, so people can see you're intention to turn, just be aware if you amend them & you have an accident this could very well be something you lose the claim over, just warning you thats all even as unlikely as it would seem.