1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 door/window problem. Help!!!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bjamieson, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

I had some speakers fitted on Sat at Halfords. There was a rattle so I removed the rear panels. Now the left back door does not lock and the window does not work. Any Ideas???? Has it lost its memory????
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

So you removed the door cards & then replaced them, now they dont work, did you plug the looms all back in properly to the door modules??? Sounds like this, you have to plug in a certain way with the overhead clip on the plug facing a certain way then when inserting it flips over to the opposite side which holds it inside the door module, I reckon you've done this tbh
  3. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

its all plugged in correctly. i waned to test it the speakers worked b4 i put the panel on, so i turned the ignition and radio on. they worked. put it all back together and thats when it started.
  4. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Just find someone local to you with vcds then they can clear the door module codes that have no doubt been thrown, but even so they dont just stop working full stop, the speaker is plugged directly into the door module anyway so isnt disconnected so this will work anyway, where as the locking/window electrics have to be unplugged when you remove the door card, check the plug again, its a 2 minute thing, even with codes on modules they still work, its got to be this as its to coincidental these functions that rely on the door card loom that was unplugged are non working but the speakers work fine.
  5. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

not exactly. Iv got the latest 2.0TDI SE I did not realise that it only came with front speakers so halfords run wires from the head unit. so it might be possible that the memory got messed up. I might just go ask them at halfords.
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Ok lets do this way:

Does it have rear electric windows?

Who removed the door cards & refitted them?

Did you fully remove the door card on rear door including unplugging the door loom from the door module?

Did you flip the usually pink top clip over the plug before reinserting the door card loom into the door module when refitting the door card?

Its a no brainer, but hey go back to halfords & they will then realise there mistake in the door loom cause for me its unlikely anything else as thrown codes on the door module doesnt stop it locking or using windows, it only stops one touch use on windows, I know this as I've worked a hell of alot on door modules myself.

Why come on a forum, ask someone with knowledge advice then say oh I'll go ask Halfords, for me its a waste of time & needs a rethink, we're, I'm, here to help but you gotta be prepared to listen as much as I do/would or its just a waste of our free time.

If it was me I'd go pull the door card of which is bloody easy & check the loom, as meercat says SIMPLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  7. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

Ok, i took off the panels. there is only 1 electronic plug. it has like a purple clamp to keep it in place. i unplugged it. then put it all back. it did not work. I stripped of the door panel again to check if the plug did come out the door card. it was all good. I unpluged the battery for a few min. All that did was stop telling me that the rear door was open on my dial display. I checked fuses but everything was fine. Both rear doors are electric and are not working. only the left back door does not lock or unlock. Really weird. I didnt mean to insult you earlier I just thought the guys at halfords might have had the same problem but solved it cause it took them 9hours to fit the speakers. that seemed weird.
  8. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

9 hrs to fit speakers?
  9. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Dont worry fella, just couldnt see your logic of take back to them who fecked it up, anyway moving on

9 fecking hours, christ its door card of, run cables through & connect, I have a strange feeling they've possibly managed to either damage the feed to the door module as no power or they've pulled the plug that is sitting in the door hinge area/pillar apart, what you have is the rubber covering ok that is near the pillar, now on the fronts they have a system of plug/socket from door to pillar, it is possible they've in there wisdom or plain **** workmanship managed to disconnect this plug so no wiring is working, now of course given they've run new wires through this doesnt go into that plug where as if it had oem speakers in rear it would be in there aswell, so I would open the door, pull back the rubber covering with a pinch either side of it to release from the door pillar & see with a torch if it looks loose, you might have to take the trims of the pillar to see the other side, but I would say if its not door modules side which you've now clarified thankyou, its gonna be pillar plug/socket, if its not there then check fusebox aswell for any blown fuses, but seriously this is one of those times you can charge halfords for fecking it up, but I cant see it being anything else but this now, I know this as I had fiun getting wires through there aswell on fronts, took me while to work out how to take the socket/plug apart, its tricky & I know what I'm doing (mostly) imagine halfords, lol, lol

Where abouts are you cause if near me I'd come to you maybe & probably fix for you & charge halfords.
  10. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

i stay in wimbledon right opposite south wimbledon station. Where do you stay?
  11. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

Do you think £95 is worth it for a audi concert radio (iv got a chorus) so no mp3 and rear speaker connection on the deck. its almost new with codes and manual.
  12. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

well I'm sure I know someone that can get cheaper

Wimbledon is about 45min-1hr away, just do this, ring halfords tomorrow, say you are pissed about the install, you now have no working windows, locking etc, you have to call someone out, will they accept the charge, then if so PM me & I can always drive up or train it into town & come fix it if its what I think, I also have VCDS upto date so can logon & check it for you aswell, I'm fairly technical on the 8P electrics so should be able to tie it down to where problem is, but check that pillar plug/socket
  13. bjamieson

bjamieson New Member

what area do you stay in. Im all over the show for work so I might be nearby soon.???? Ill give them a call tomorrow and see if they will pay. They prob gonna wanna look at it first. give me an estimate of what you will charge so I can say iv had a rough quote. im looking for a newish concert radio for under £100 so if u do know some1.
  14. Rafkoo

Rafkoo Member

Just to jump on this post... sorry, hope you don't mind....

My passenger window has stopped working when using the passenger window switch... however it works fine with the drivers window switch.... Also, the passenger window switch (red) light and the passenger door lights (when you open the door) have stopped working too. I thought it was an electrical problem - however, the window works using the driver's switch and the passenger electirc mirror works....

This could be more than a passenger swtich problem because of the door lights not working? Anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance!
    Raf :)
  15. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Well all the things you describe seem to point towards the door car plug that connects all these options to the door module, the window would still work from drivers even if this plug came out as the door module is also the door window motor which has the main car harness plugged directly into this so window still gets power even if door card unplugged, remove door card & check if the door card plug has come loose thats all, if its not this then could be door module, but tbh doubt its this as the window works, check door card 1st.
  16. Rafkoo

Rafkoo Member

Thank you for the very prompt and helpful reply mate. With regard ot the door card - I've read your other post regarding removal of the door card -

"3dr has a screw at bottom of door, then the alum or piano black trim comes of & there's 2 screws behind there, then it unclips of, do from bottom corner & wedge your hand in & slowly apply pressure to wedge a gap & it will pop of & then carefully go round the whole edge left/right/bottom to release all fixings as they're just push clips, then should just come straight of, but beware of the looms connected so pull away a little to find loom plugs, release these, then door cards all yours..."

I guess that's the proceedure I need then? I've heard that the clips break easily and need to be replaced everytime you take the door card off... Is that the case?

Cheers again
    Raf
  17. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member

I have had my door cards off about 5-6 times and haven't managed to break any clips.

The little metal ones that hold the door trim section (piano black or alloy) can sometimes ping out, but they don't break.

Just take your time.

Paul
  18. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

yes they can break but depends on how hard you pull them, do it slowly & lever carefully & they wont break, I have taken of doorcards untold times recently & they havnt broke since 1st time I did, lol.
  19. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

I only broke one when I did mine, and I'm a legendary destroyer :lmfao:

Did find an extra screw though! it's middle of the door-ish, under the armrest area - lots of swearing before I found that :drag:
  20. Rafkoo

Rafkoo Member

Thanks again chaps - by the black piano trim - I presum that's the long bit of plastic running underneath the arm rest and up round to the top of the grab handle and opening handle?
    Cheers again
    Raf