A3 difference between quattro and turbo sport???

spadey

Reaction score
Ok so this might seem like a stupid question but I recently bought a a3 turbo quattro from a dealer and I think it is only a 1.8t sport not a quattro... Before I take it back and get my money back I want to just confirm exactly how I tell? Dont want to sound silly but what do I look for on the back axle to tell its got 4 wheel drive as there doesnt seem to be any drive shafts....

Sorry 4 being stupid but dont want to get ripped off..

Steve

The suspension is different on the rear of a Quattro, to accomodate the rear Haldex diff, look under the rear bumper to see if there is a differential and drive shafts basically, and there's a 30BHP difference also... Glovebox should have a Quattro badge if it's genuine.

Hi mate it has the quattro badge on the glove box but thats about it I think.. The rear axle is just a piece of metal..... Would it say anything on the log book about quattro? The sale thing with all the codes on states 110kw which I believe to be 150bhp which makes it a 1.8t sport... Dohhhh

it should be 132kw 180bhp quattro uk spec , also look at the rear shocks they should be angled to the back of the car with seperate springs.

spadey said:
Hi mate it has the quattro badge on the glove box but thats about it I think.. The rear axle is just a piece of metal..... Would it say anything on the log book about quattro? The sale thing with all the codes on states 110kw which I believe to be 150bhp which makes it a 1.8t sport... Dohhhh

Sounds like you've been conned bud! Get your money back quick!! :ohmy:

Were'nt the quattro's 6 speed gearbox's only? I'm not sure on this but if so that'd be an easy way to check!

My Quat has a 5 speed box, they did both 5 and 6 speed.

Also on the suspension my 1.6 sport has the seperate spring setup, dont think it was only quattro - best way to tell is to get in it, floor it and if you can spin the wheels its not a quattro. If it was priced as a quattro then take it back and tell em either take the car or give u a couple of grand back.

Look at the exhaust rear silencer. If it runs down the car, it is 2wd, if it runs across the back of the car, it is a quattro. The quattro and S3 exhaust has to run that way around to avoid the driveshafts. Good luck.

A nd there will be apropshaft down the middle of the car if its 4wd too.

Was this an audi dealer?

Have a look at the sticker in the spare wheel well, that tells you the exact spec of the ar and although in German you can see the engine output in kW,
110kw = 1.8T
132kW = 1.8TQ
That's all you need to check as they never made a 110kW quattro, and likewise never made a 180kW non quattro A3.

Another fairly simple way to check is to see if it wheel spins.....if it does its a 1.8t and if it doesn't then its a quattro!