A3 Desiel DSG

glasgowdubber

Reaction score
Looking at buying one of these as a daily driver, but gotta be a sportback.

Anyone on here got a TDI DSG, anything I should be looking out for etc?

Looking at spending around 8k.

Hi
Well mines a 2.0tdi DSG S line with 68k on, 2005 with half leather.
Had no issues with it at all, worth about 8.7K so you should be able to get one of these for your budget with a few more miles on.
Does around 44 mpg normally, (70% motoway) and can get 50+mpg on a run.

check air con and fans and tyre wear

I'm on my third A3 2.0TDI with a DSG box. First was a 3-door 2.0 TDI-140 PD SE purchased new in July 2004 and traded-in in March 2007 with 37,720 miles on the clock. Second was a 2.0TDI-170 PD SE Sportback purchased new in March 2007 and traded-in in April 2009 with 30,600 on the clock and my current car is a 2.0TDI-140 CR which I purchased new in April 2009 and has done around 22,000 miles.

I've been very pleased with all three and had no problems at all with any of them. Before that I had four other A3s, all 1.8T Sport petrol and manual. Personally I much prefer the DSG to the manual any day.

Thanks for the input guys, I have an 8P S3 but want to put it off the road for a couple of months have the MTM's etc fitted and not use it as much in the new year so one of these would be a nice alternative if it had some goodies!

Was more the DSG box I was interested in how they held up etc, my mate works for Skoda and says aslong as the car is maintained reguarly everything should be sweet!

Not got a diesel but i put 250bhp through my DSG for the last 50k miles and its absolutely perfect....Oil and filter change is a must at 35k miles so check its been done.

I have had DSG on 5 cars to date (Mk1 3.2TT, A3 3.2, R32, Mk2 TT and current S3) and on no occasion have I had any problems. I have also collected and delivered a number of cars with DSG and could not feel any difference in the "high milers" compared to new or nearly new. As mentioned above oil and filter change is a must.
I don't think you will be disappointed with a DSG box.

Do it, I doubt you'll want to go back to a manual. I had DSG in my R32 and had it as a must have when I changed to a more frugal 170 diesel.

I miss the noise though.... :(

Thanks for the feedback guys. My mate just bought a Golf ED30 with DSG and I couldn't believe how good it actually was. When I do eventually get rid of the S3, it will be getting replaced with DGS. Not really into the paddle thing, more just being too lazy to change gears lol!

I have a diesel DSG too but I have to say I change gears myself in manual mode. I find that on auto mode, it changes gear at higher revs than I'd like so I slip it in manual mode and change up myself and let the car downshift itself. I only downshift if I have to use engine assistance to help stop quicker. When the Mrs drives, it averages 43/44 mpg in town and when I drive it's about 47/48 mpg. but as everyone else, no problems whatsover. Pity they don't do a TDI Quattro DSG as I'd have got one...

I have a diesel DSG too but I have to say I change gears myself in manual mode. I find that on auto mode, it changes gear at higher revs than I'd like

This surprises me. If anything I'd say it changes gears too early.
When in 'D' and if I am normal on the gas (not light, not heavy) it changes through the gears and is in 6th by about 40mph.
If i'm a bit heavier on the gas then it holds the each gear longer.

Yeah maybe. And I guess is pretty subjective too. One person's 'too early' might be another person's 'too late'.

Pulling off at a normal pace, which gear has your box selected by the time you've hit 40mph?

That's true, but that's how I prefer to do it. I will have a look on my way back home but I'm sure you cannot change into sixth until just over 40mph in manual mode.

Right, prior to getting to sixth gear, you can change to higher gears quite a bit sooner in manual compared to auto mode, but sixth is only attainable at just over 40 mph.. I guess this is where the slightly better mpg is coming from, there's not much in it though.