A3 cooling fans

pompeyal

Reaction score
Before we start I apologise now for opening up this problem again, looking through other threads on the subject gets too many different suggestions and makes it difficult to decypher.

My wife has a 2004 A3 1.6 which has the same problem of the cooling fans not switching off, I have gone down the route suggested in other threads here and on other Audi forums which to be honest lead me nowhere, so I though I would look into the problem with a different view keeping in mind what I had read.

The fan that was staying on was the smaller of the two and I could get it to turn of using the following sequence:-

If when you turn of the ignition and remove the key the fan stayed on, turn on the ignition, turn off the blowers inside the cabin by pressing the (-) fan speed button, turn the engine on the off again. the fan runs for a second or two, a click is heard from a relay behind the dash and the fan switches off. This procedure works every time on our car.

Prior to finding this out I put the car through various scenario's, Engine cold, start no blowers,..... engine up to temp, no blowers, blowers on,....air con on...etc etc and took note of what fans were coming on and going off and at what speed they were running and if they stayed on after turning off and removing the key, this lead me to believe the system was working fine apart from when turning off the car in certain situations, I then started driving the car to work each day with the blowers set with either no air con or econ and air con only and blower only and sometimes the fan stayed on after the journey and sometime turned off, but each time I could get the fan to turn off by using the above procedure and it was then I heard the relay switch off which I didn't here when the fans stayed on.

I have not been into check which relay it is yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the over run relay for the fans, this would make sense as it has a permanent live when the ignition is off and the key removed.

I will let you know when I get in there over the weekend to what I find...

Had the cabin fuse panel off but don't have the same style relay panel as I have found on the net showing the over run relay, would anyone here have the details for the cabin relay panel fitted to a 1.6 petrol A3 on a 2004 plate and what relay serve what....cheers