A3 Clutch Slippage

A3Chris

Reaction score
I need a bit of help from you guys. I have a A3 with a AGU lump in it with the standard map. It has covered just short of 151,000 miles and the clutch has just started slipping in 3rd. I have a few questions to ask:

1. I am looking at the single mass flywheel conversion, is this the best option to go with, or just replace the clutch and stick with the duel mass? My thinking is if I go down the single mass conversion, I won't have to worry about the duel mass failing any time soon.

2. If I opt for the single mass conversion, which route do I follow; the standard conversion kits on the likes of Eurocarparts and ebay, or the G60 and VR6 conversion. I am not looking at mapping the car, but who knows what the future holds.

3. What is the better manufaturer to go for; LUX or VALEO, as I need to keep the costs low but I do not want to compromise on quality.

4. Can anyone recommend a decent garage in Bristol to undertake this work?

Sorry for all the questions.

Absolutely definitely go for the single mass conversion mate with an ABF flywheel and a VR6 clutch.

I'd avoid the cheaper ECP conversions myself, as there have been mixed reviews.

The ABF flywheel's are dead cheap to buy, can usually pick one up for £50, and get an LUK vr6 (AAA engine) clutch kit from GSF for about £80-90.

As well as that you'll need the ABF flywheel bolts, and the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel, all available from TPS/dealers.

For garages in Bristol or surrounding area, I'd be looking at Badger5, although a simple clutch change could be taken on by most places.

Thanks Prawn.

Is there anything else I should have changed while the clutch is out?

Is there anything I have to watch out for when getting a used G60 / ABF flywheel? There are a few on the bay I'm keeping my eye on.

After a search and before I start buying, I just want to make sure I have the correct P/N for the components:

VR6 Clutch Kit - Eurocarparts LUX - 641440660
Clutch Bolts - N10101001 - Qty 6 - VW / Skoda

G60 / ABF Flywheel
Flywheel Bolts - N90206103 - Qty 6 - VW / Skoda