1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Clutch Slippage

A3Chris Oct 27, 2012

1. A3Chris

A3Chris New Member

I need a bit of help from you guys. I have a A3 with a AGU lump in it with the standard map. It has covered just short of 151,000 miles and the clutch has just started slipping in 3rd. I have a few questions to ask:

1. I am looking at the single mass flywheel conversion, is this the best option to go with, or just replace the clutch and stick with the duel mass? My thinking is if I go down the single mass conversion, I won't have to worry about the duel mass failing any time soon.

2. If I opt for the single mass conversion, which route do I follow; the standard conversion kits on the likes of Eurocarparts and ebay, or the G60 and VR6 conversion. I am not looking at mapping the car, but who knows what the future holds.

3. What is the better manufaturer to go for; LUX or VALEO, as I need to keep the costs low but I do not want to compromise on quality.

4. Can anyone recommend a decent garage in Bristol to undertake this work?

Sorry for all the questions.

2. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

Absolutely definitely go for the single mass conversion mate with an ABF flywheel and a VR6 clutch.

I'd avoid the cheaper ECP conversions myself, as there have been mixed reviews.

The ABF flywheel's are dead cheap to buy, can usually pick one up for £50, and get an LUK vr6 (AAA engine) clutch kit from GSF for about £80-90.

As well as that you'll need the ABF flywheel bolts, and the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel, all available from TPS/dealers.

For garages in Bristol or surrounding area, I'd be looking at Badger5, although a simple clutch change could be taken on by most places.

3. A3Chris

A3Chris New Member

Thanks Prawn.

Is there anything else I should have changed while the clutch is out?

Is there anything I have to watch out for when getting a used G60 / ABF flywheel? There are a few on the bay I'm keeping my eye on.

After a search and before I start buying, I just want to make sure I have the correct P/N for the components:

VR6 Clutch Kit - Eurocarparts LUX - 641440660
    Clutch Bolts - N10101001 - Qty 6 - VW / Skoda

G60 / ABF Flywheel
    Flywheel Bolts - N90206103 - Qty 6 - VW / Skoda