A3 brake upgrade, new hubs required ??

daz.h

Reaction score
would i need to change my front hubs on my 2007 a3 1.9 in order to upgrade my brakes ?

currently on standard 280mm discs and calipers but the 2.0 a3's use different calipers and slightly bigger discs 288 i think.

so would i need to use the hub etc from the 2.0 or can i just swap the calipers and discs over.

ideally looking to get the bigger 312mm discs which i beleive use the same caliper but also use carriers.

Yes, you need new hubs. Your curent front hubs have the caliper carriers built-in. You need other carriers for bigger brakes.
Also, your strut diameter I believe is 50mm now and the hubs from 2.0 TDI are for 55 mm struts. When buying the hubs you should check this aspect too.

thanks johnny bravo, why is nothing just straight forward ??:uhm:

I just bought golf gti edition 30 calipers with carriers and new discs which are 312mm then got the mechanic to swap them over thats it also added brembo pads and job done work really well with my car but still wanting mercedes AMG full brake set up about 380mm on front :p lovely lol

Anyway, start by checking what other engine comes with 50mm struts and if it has the front brakes at least 288mm. These have the separate hubs and carriers and you won't have to change the struts.

not sure which engine would come with 50mm struts , are you suggesting vw or skoda models ?