1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a3 audio upgrade

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by perryuk, May 3, 2007.

1. perryuk

perryuk New Member

[May 3, 2007]
    currently with a 97 a3

fed up with the standard cassette head unit, but wishing for a cd upgrade.

i know the choices are
    ....boot changer with different head unit?...or
    ....replacement with a concert cd front loader

After scouring ebay, its no longer a simple choice with many model #'s and head units that "dont quite fit...but would" a '97 dash, any advice as to how to upgrade would be much appreciated, as an after market head unit isn't really a desired option.

many thanks in advance...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[May 3, 2007]
    Genuine Audi boot changers go for around £80-£90 on ebay and as long as they're the 13 pin (10pins populated) version it'll work with any Audi HU in the A3. Just check you have the pre-installed bus lead in the rear left cubbyhole. It's clipped to the inside bodywork right at the back of the cubbyhole past the rear seat belt reel. Otherwise you'll need the lead as well. Most early A3's were fitted with the lead as standard. The changer sits on top of the tupperware sub. don't worry about the fitting bracket as this tends to cause skipping on bumpy roads. A better fitment is to use lots of strips of doublesided foam tape on top of each other for cushioning, or sticky fixers.
  4. perryuk

perryuk New Member

[May 4, 2007]
    from what you have just said with respects to any head unit operating a boot changer then i may as well go for that option....will check for the lead......much appreciated...
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[May 4, 2007]
    Just ensure you get a 13/10 pin changer. The older 8 pin type are not compatible without an adapter.
  6. Ibzzzzz

Ibzzzzz Member

[May 5, 2007]
    i would personally go for the concert becoz i recently upgraded the head unit in my '97 a3 20v sport and found that it looks ugly with the adaptors on each side becoz of the difference in widths between normal head units and audi units. But then again i am very happy with the head unit so i cant complain much. try out the pioneer bluetooth head units they are very useful.