A3 8P Security

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Without giving away any information on a public forum, is there anything to worry about on the A3.

Coming from a Mark IV Golf I'm thinking along the lines of the MarkIV Window Roll down security flaw that came to light (nice one VW) or any others.

Cheers,

Paul

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Without giving away any information on a public forum, is there anything to worry about on the A3.

Apart from having someone put your front door in for the keys?

All modern cars are basically impossible to steal without the keys or a crane.

If someone wants something inside your car they'll put a brick through the window, end of. If they want the car itself they'll either break into your house for the keys, car-jack you or pick it up and put it on the back of a truck.

Vertigo1 said:
When referring to opportune scumbags and joyriders. The same cannot be said for "professional thieves"

OK guys I know all that about nicking the keys.

I was thinking more along the line of security flaws like the Golf IV one where they can disable the alarm and roll the windows down to nick the contents of the car.

Paul

OutLore said:
When referring to opportune scumbags and joyriders. The same cannot be said for "professional thieves"
I doubt many professional thieves could get past a modern immobiliser as they're totally integrated into the car's electronics and can't be easily bypassed.

Gti Jazz Blue said:

I was thinking more along the line of security flaws like the Golf IV one where they can disable the alarm and roll the windows down to nick the contents of the car.

Paul
Well I don't know about any specific exploits such as that but frankly, if a thief wants something in your car, they'll put a brick through the window and be 200 yards down the road before you've even realised it's your alarm going off.

Vertigo1 said:
Well I don't know about any specific exploits such as that but frankly, if a thief wants something in your car, they'll put a brick through the window and be 200 yards down the road before you've even realised it's your alarm going off.

I hear what you are saying, but VW made even that easier for a potential thief on the Mark IV.

Paul

The A3 8P is fitted with a Thatcham approved Cat 1 Alarm / Immobiliser system and gets a 5-star Theft Of and a 4-star Theft From rating in their Security Testing.

Gti Jazz Blue said:

Paul

Why would you leave anything of any potential value to a thief in your car? Security flaw or not!

Vertigo1 said:

Tell that to the owner of a Mk IV Golf/Passat, or a new Disco owner!

all cars are nickable

if someone wants your car they will have it

If you are worried about having your windows smashed allowing access to the vehicle, there is always supaglass and the like.

All cars can be stolen or stolen from... imobiliser, alarm, etc, only stops the normal thugs, a professional thieve will rob any car, Porsches, Ferraris, etc, etc. I can't see why the A3 would be so special.... as to be impossible to steal...

Pedro

I think what we're saying is that no-one knows of any specific weaknesses on the A3. All I would add is that when the alarm does go off, it's a bit on the quiet side.

But I do agree with the other posts here that if you're about to be the victim of a professional car thief, you haven't got a chance. There was a thread in the General section recently posted by a police officer who reported lots of top new Audi models going missing (new S3 & RS4), and most owners didn't realise anything had happened until the next morning.

Not a good idea to have the special glass on your car. The type that is very difficult to break (laminated / strenghened). A friend had it fitted to his new Volvo and whilst having a nice meal in a friendly pub two guys that had tried to smash the window without success took a crow bar to the door. Suffice to say pretty horrendous damage. Would have been much better had they got in the first time. Best bet is not to leave anything worth nicking in the car , not even a coat

I think the problem nowadays is that opportunists will attempt a break-in to see if they get lucky. There are so many warnings in the media and out on the streets about not leaving anything on display, which means for the laziest drivers, stashing anything of value in their glovebox or doorbins. And if the thieves keep taking their chances, eventually something decent will turn up for sure.

Thanks all.

I try to avoid leaving anything in the car, but it isn't always practical.

Can't really take my overnight bag to a clients if I'm having to stay at a hotel for the night.

Crazy having to take Satnav mounts and everything out, everytime you leave the car. I guess it is just a case of assessing the risk each time and if in doubt then remove it.

****** scum just get a slap on the wrist most times these days, bring back the birch and let the owner administer it - time to lobby my MP LOL.

what about putting a layer of security film on the windows?

or do the audi windows have it already built in?

touring50 said:
Not a good idea to have the special glass on your car. The type that is very difficult to break (laminated / strenghened). A friend had it fitted to his new Volvo and whilst having a nice meal in a friendly pub two guys that had tried to smash the window without success took a crow bar to the door. Suffice to say pretty horrendous damage. Would have been much better had they got in the first time. Best bet is not to leave anything worth nicking in the car , not even a coat

Rather useful if someone tries to car-jack you at some traffic lights then!

Ironically, making the car harder to get into via the use of security film or any other means is probably likely to just annoy the thugs even more and they'll just key it to death out of spite before walking away.

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Crazy having to take Satnav mounts and everything out, everytime you leave the car. I guess it is just a case of assessing the risk each time and if in doubt then remove it.
You need to do more than that unfortunately. A mate has a Leon Cupra and uses TomTom, and as well as hiding it away when parked up, he has what he likes to call his "TomTom cloth" for wiping the inside of the windscreen. This removes the sucker marks which are another giveaway that a portable sat nav unit might be in the car. Even if you take the unit out with you, there's still a chance an opportunist will break in to check if he sees the marks on the windscreen.

benw123 said:
You need to do more than that unfortunately. A mate has a Leon Cupra and uses TomTom, and as well as hiding it away when parked up, he has what he likes to call his "TomTom cloth" for wiping the inside of the windscreen. This removes the sucker marks which are another giveaway that a portable sat nav unit might be in the car. Even if you take the unit out with you, there's still a chance an opportunist will break in to check if he sees the marks on the windscreen.

A-ha!!! I have a (possibly) better solution to this - get one of those stupid sucker clipboard thingies, and keep it in the glovebox, then when you take the TomTom out, whack that on the screen, job done.

Another thing to remember if leaving the car in a dodgy area for a while is to take the locking wheelnut key out of the car!