1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 8L, S3 8L or A3 8P?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Keefy, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Keefy

Keefy Member

I'm just about to get my '99 A3 TQS back from the garage, and while it's been away, I've been thinking.

Having a little bit of money put aside, do I spend money on a remap, DV, wheels, perhaps a FMIC etc. or sell up and use the extra money to buy an S3? An outside third option is an older A3 8P, which I've heard good tings about, especially the 1.9TDi and 2.0T.
    I do love the TQS, and they do seem to be rarer than S3s (around the South West anyway), but am I just ploughing money into something that won't hold its value as much as an S3? I am thinking long term here...

Any advice appreciated :icon_thumright:
  2. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

Ooohh tuff one. I had the same dilema. At the end of it all I though there's only one 's' car in the three so I ended up with the 8l s3. The one to me that's the best looking, most exclusive and everything I wanted. I think given the choice again the 8p 2.0t would be a serious contender though.
  3. indiemike

indiemike ZoomZoom

Depends on what your long term plans are with the car

Are you planning on mods in the future

I would go with the S3 8L and you can pick a few good examples up at the min, I see alot of people are selling up at the min. I also had this idea after xmas but i know if i changed i just wouldnt be as happy driving everyday
  4. Keefy

Keefy Member

I guess mods may come eventually, but tbh it wouldn't happen if I were to buy a house in the next couple of years. All this umming and ahhing is borne out of me wanting to get a car I'm happy with, so I can stop drooling over cars I don't own :), then get on with saving for a house.

Perhaps an S3 with a few mods already... but this would push the cost up towards 7k, which I'm not keen on - looking around 6 - 6.5k.
  5. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

since buying my s3 i no longer lust after other motors, im more than happy with what ive got now, but i still cant save a penny as i all i want to do is plough everything i got into her, every payday is a new mod for me lol

for 6k you could pick up a really nice example of an s3, as mike said theres a few people on here selling up at the moment, always good to buy off an enthusiast :)
  6. JS1500

JS1500 Howdy

If I were you i'd go for a nice facelift S3, maybe with a remap, DV, TIP, exhaust already done if you can find one.
    I'm just not a fan of the 8P's looks.
  7. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

I htink it would have to be the S3 mate, i know it might be an older car, but age isnt everything, the spec on it is second to none, and to get that sort of spec in an 8P is going to cost a whole lot more.

You wont have the power as well, which is often a deciding factor.

I know a few peeps that have 'really nice' 8P A3s, but it still ceases to amaze me, when they become all google eyed over my S3, even though its totally standard, and when I ask and say that yours looks so much better than mine, the simple response is, "yea but yours is an S3"

Hope that helps :)
  8. Keefy

Keefy Member

Totally. I know the 8Ps are great cars (haven't had a bash in one yet, but been driven about in a couple) but the S3 is, well, an S3! I might save a little more and as JS1500 says, get one with some nice mods already done.

I take it that as nobody's mentioned it, keeping the TQS and spending money on it is a silly idea?!
  9. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

Im in the same position, I have only had my TQS a couple of months and already i want more! :icon_thumright:

But i reckon resisting the temptation to mod the TQS further and saving the pennies for an 8l s3 is the better idea. If you think about the sort of money involved in modding (and then insuring) the TQS further you could use all of that to get you an s3 (or pretty close).

D
  10. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

If you want to keep your tqs, you could just put 3k into and get it to have more power than the s3. but it it isnt an s3 afterall though. You wouldnt want to get an s3 for a year then have to sell it because of a house youd be gutted!. Maybe get one after your house and settled down a bit.