A3 8L Quattro gearbox removal please HELP

A3Quattro1985

Reaction score
Hi i am trying to remove the gearbox on my 1999 Quattro but i wont come away from the engine i can seperate it about 1cm then it springs back and i can find anything holding it in. do i need to fully remove the engine. ideas would be greatly appriciated thanks in advance

sounds like you have either missed a bolt or its stuck on a dowl you really need to make sure that there are definantly no left over bolts then if not you will have to be a bit more persuasive with the removal of the box around the area where its stuck on

Thanks very much for your help mate at least someone is helpful on this site unlike when nobody replied to other threads i have posted.

This place is very helpful. Sounds like a bit of a slating to people who havent replied.

If body replies to a help thread it will usually be because they have no idea or it has been covered loads before. But you will usually get a point in the right direction.

People who do know an answer to a specific question dont always live on here so be persistent and you will usually get an answer.

good luck

Hi everyone i dont mean to slate the site, its an awsome site but its a little frustrating when you need help but no one replies Thanks in advance James

Probably not many folk have done a Quattro box, which accounts for the lack of answers.

Most clutch threads I have seen have mentioned going to a workshop.

Gavin

get your self elsawin, this will give you step by step guides to its removal

Hi everyone i dont mean to slate the site, its an awsome site but its a little frustrating when you need help but no one replies Thanks in advance James
i dont mean to be rude here but if your having no luck on here you would be better off spending the time checking that you have done everything needed to get the gear box free of the block, there arnet any hidden bolts if thats the awnser you want and its hard to diagnose your problem with out having the car to look at, good luck mate but its just persistance required with this one

Yep.. elsawin helps no end with everything when working on your car.

Hi, everyone i have just replaced the 5 speed with a 6 speed box i cant get reverse very well and to get 1st i have to push down to were reverse normally is and 2nd is also hard to get aswell i have been told to change the gear selector is this under the gearstick as i am still using the original. i want to say thanks for your help before we ended up taking the whole engine out and then we found there was a bracket that cant be seen easily with the engine in.
I really hope i havent upset people in the site as it is a brilliant site
Thanks
James
:blackrs4:

Good stuff.. well done on getting back will probably help some other people out who have the same probs as you