1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 8L concert swap to concert 2 ?

Discussion in 'Retrofit' started by basil brush, Mar 28, 2013.

1. basil brush

basil brush Active Member

[Mar 28, 2013]
    hi everyone , me and my better half both have A3 8L's both with faulty concert stereos tape deck ones .
    what i would like to know is , would it be a straight swap to put an audi concert 2 cd player head unit in , if not whats involved ?
    any help or advice would be much apreciated :)

baz
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 29, 2013]
    It's a straight swap but the concert2 uses the canbus to switch it on/off with the ignition whereas the older version has a separate 12v feed. So the concert2 won't switch on/off with ignition and will switch off automatically after an hour
  4. basil brush

[Mar 30, 2013]
    hi andy , thanks for the reply , i have progressed matters in m own strange style ;) i have bought a refurbed 3 month warranty concert to replace my knackered one along with a ipod connection unit BUT this has left my mrs who also has an 8L with stereo isuues annoyed (ha ha ha )
    SO
    hers is a 2001 facelift 8L , so i will ask the same question regarding her car , does the canbus issue still stand with her car ?
    if this is so can i confirm that you can still turn the unit off manually without having to wait the hour for the unit to switch itself off ?

baz
  5. AndyMac

[Mar 30, 2013]
    Hers should be ok as they switched to canbus around 2000, but yes you can switch it off manually regardless
  6. basil brush

[Apr 1, 2013]
    thanks andy , however the plot thickens ! I have today put in a kenwood HU and a known good audi concert 1 ! The kenwood works but no sound from the rear door speakers or boot mounted sub ( factory fit audi one) regardless of what I do with the balance or fader control , and the audi concert works perfectly with ALL speakers however is an inch to short of being wide enough for the aperture in the dash ! ( there's a half inch gap at either side of the concert which is already wider that a standard HU !
    so is her car supposed to have some sort of audi din ( standard size HU ) stereo ?
    If so what would it be ? I thought a concert 2 (cd) was wider than normal like a concert 1 ( tape type ) ???????

Baz
  7. AndyMac

[Apr 1, 2013]
    Depends what car the Concert came out of as they all have different sized over wide fascia's
    The kenwood won't work with the rear amp/sub unless you have a PC9-404 adapter to link into the rear amp wiring loom.
  8. basil brush

[Apr 2, 2013]
    Blindly ! Does it need to be this complicated ;) lol
    thanks for your help .
    Baz