1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3(8L) 1.9TDI Quattro rear subframe sawp

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Platty, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Platty

Platty New Member

After having a look under the car a couple of weeks ago I noticed the rear subframe is rusty. Most probably an MOT failure so I'm looking into swapping the whole thing out.

Having seen a few S3 subframes going on eBay, does anyone know if they are compatible? I assume the control arms are longer to allow the S3's wider track? What about hubs and trailing arms?

I'm hoping to build a completely reconditioned subframe assembly on a bench at work, then just swap out old for new one weekend.
  2. Platty

Platty New Member

Anyone able to offer advice?
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Fairly sure they are the same bit of kit... even though the S3 has wider arches the rears sit in quite a bit suggesting the rear track is no different (uses the same suspension components so no reason to believe this is different)

I don't think S3 arms are a differnt length... have fitted KW tie bars to an A3 TQS before and they are not a different PN

<tuffty/>
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

All the rear subframes I've seen have rust on them, it's not an mot failure is it? Unless its about to drop off, I wouldn't disturb it personally.
  5. Platty

Platty New Member

Thanks Tuffty, I'll go with an S3 item in that case.

Jojo, there's more rust than subframe!

I'll be fitting new brakes/discs and swapping out bushes anyway. It'll be easier to do it all on a bench then just swap the lot over.