A3 8L 1.8T quattro Intercooler help

Morty

"StAtIk FaNtAtIk"
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have had a look for what pipes to use for this but I'm struggling a bit.:(

I'm looking to get a 600x300X76 intercooler and wondered if anyone could help me out with what piping I would need?

Thank you so much guys,

Morty

i also need a list of pipe sizes and dimensions so if anyone has a list it could help us both : )

Loads of FMIC info inthe stickies... for both A3's and S3's including fitting pics, parts lists and other such shizzle..

<tuffty/>

had a look, cant find a lift of pipes and dimensions :s

would you not be better buying a kit?

i looked in to buying a s/h intercooler of a good make and then buy the piping but it works over quite a bit in the end
so im going to just buy a decent intercooler kit for my model etc

Right not sure if this will help u guys hope it does, due to me having a ko4 conversion done soon I needed to change my current forge fmic setup and will need to buy a wellycooler, I can't thank nick (prawn) enough for the pipe setup he has recommended to me this is what he has recommended for me and hope this helps

Cold side: You will need:

1x 76-63mm 90 degree reducer in silicon
1x 63mm 90 degree silicon bends
1x 63mm 90 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm straight 100mm alloy coupler.
plus clamps to suit.

Then for the hotside, you will need: 1x 76-63mm 90 degree reducer in silicon
1x 63mm 90 degree silicon bend
1x 63mm 90 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm x 300mm straight alloy pipe
1x 63mm 45 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm 45 degree silicon bend
1x 51-63mm 90 degree silicon reducer

That is all the pipework you will need.

eeeeeeerm, I used JCS Hi-Grip stainless.
OD of the silicon pipes will be 73mm, I think there's a 60-80mm clamp. then on the core the OD will be 86mm, and I think there's a 70-90mm clamp

Pic of intercooler setup once again all credit to nick (prawn)

f1e0d748.jpg

follow Tuftys link, I put links up to the core and pipe sellers on ebay, and listed all parts needed for a ko3/s fitment in the thread. the list bobby has above is specifically for his ko4 :)

Be warned though, if you're keeping the stock A3 bumper it's tight!

e1ea3aaf.jpg

352c6e97.jpg

d47aba49.jpg

the finished article isn't too intrusive though, and if you painted it black it'd be even less so:

980bdfe9.jpg

Thanks. Just what I needed, think I'm king to get a kit of eBay then replace the chromed 90degree elbows with black silicone ones just to dull it down abit! Thanks people.

Your best of keep hard pipes as much as possible. Just spray them with black high temp paint just so it doesn't crack or craze .

This is a fantastic thread, thanks for the info guys!

The only question I have with prawns set up is that the cooler might be too big, but it depends what you plan to do with the car in the long run. I will be fitting my large collection of Fmic bits in the next few weeks, and I have gone for a smaller cooler which in turn means that the 76-63 reducers are not needed.

What turbo setup u running reesy?, the fmic setup I think is well tested and one of the best IMO cost wise, I know toyosport do the same intercooler but slightly smaller loads on eBay, but one day if u do decide like me to go for bigger power it's best to just use this setup and will work find depending on what turbo u have now, I'm running stage 2 rtech ko3s, and due to me going bigger I have to shelve my current forge setup as the pipework route is completely different to what I need

I've got a 3s on mine, and have gone for the smaller toyo cooler. I think the welly cooler is too big for a stage 2 k03s, and all you really need to do to change from small cooler to welly cooler is some crash bar trimming, 76-63 reducers unless you do what karl did, and some tweaks to make the pipes fit the reducers..

This has been a great help, thanks to all that have contributed!!! I'll post here when I've done, It'll take me a while as its a daily and I live in a flat! :crying:

Thanks again!

Morty