A3 5th gear problems - dealer giving the run around

Mogwha

Reaction score
Just bought an audi a3 1.9 tdi, 2005 with 99k on the clock. Noticed on my that 5th gear would grind occasionally, 1 or 2 times in my hour long journey, it has since popped out in neutral a couple of times and found resistance to, all on the 5th gear.
Seems that there's a synchro problem, so decided to call the dealer for him to correct it or replace or even refund as I've only had it a week.
Now, this dealer is a small back Street garage, I've tried emailing him, but the email doesn't work, visited the garage, he's never there, he's answered when I've called his number, but now I'm fearing the worst and nothing will be done or I'll be fobbed off.
Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next?

Write to the owner and give them say 7 days to invite you in to get the car fixed and ask for reply in writing and give you a courtesy car or you will return it for a full refund .
Contact trading standards to get further advice , if you paid by credit card or on finance contact them .
Good luck

Thanks for replying, I've since been to see him, he said he'd get it sorted, my suspicion is a worn synchro, but I've used the guys mechanic before and he's always been good with our cars. I've a courtesy car, just hope mine gets sorted :)