1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 3.2 Perished breather diaphragm - whistling sound from hole in rocker cover

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by VagPro, Jun 24, 2013.

1. VagPro

VagPro Member

Hi guys,

2006 A3 3.2 dsg Quattro engine code bmj

I am getting a whistling sound from the small hole in the rocker cover, took the cover off and have found that the rubber diaphragm on the breather assembly is perished and cracked.

I have a part number 022 103 515A for the breather assembly but the dealers are saying its part of the rocker cover (£160+)

Any ideas / experience ?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. autolatry

autolatry Member

is it on here? 278103600.jpg
  3. VagPro

VagPro Member

4. Chillout

Chillout Member

I had to do this it's a pain don't run it you can wreck your engine http://sandbox.enjoybeing.net/veedub/vw_vr6_self_study.pdf
    if you run your car it can apply the full intake vacuum to the crankcase lifting the oil either hydro locking the engine or causing damage due to lack of lubrication it's a really expensive considering the part it's self looks like £20 to £30 pounds tops .
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. VagPro

VagPro Member

6. Chillout

Chillout Member

its the address of it it's quite good I am not the best with technology.
    cyclone oil separator page 26/27 but not available on its own
  7. VagPro

VagPro Member

Ahhh I'm with you now, when you said "I had to do this" I thought you had a guide to repair it.

Unfortunately can't find the part anywhere as its part of the rocker cover, I'm gonna see if I can make up something or will have to fork out £200!

Thanks
  8. Chillout

Chillout Member

I wouldn't risk it i took the front end off but supported the rad so nothing was disconnected ,intake ,throttle body,air box have to be removed.
  9. VagPro

VagPro Member

Mines fully stripped out, did you have to replace your separator then? Or did you change it including the rocker cover ..
  10. Chillout

Chillout Member

Yes I had to change the whole cover I tried via audi and tps to get it on its own but its not available on its own it comes in the cover along with the gasket it's quite a precise part regulating the vacuum an different ranges of induction.
  11. VagPro

VagPro Member

Cheers, ill order a complete cover from tps tomorrow
  12. VagPro

VagPro Member

Hi chillout,

What do you think of this, I was searching online and came across this for the 2.0T FSI engine

Crankcase breather A4 2004-2012,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372202301.961136.jpg

So went to Sanburn to see if he had anything similar, found the orange diaphragm inside the breather above (from a BWE engine)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372202353.799305.jpg

Its slightly thicker and the spring that came with is is shorter, I was thinking to give it a go with the longer spring from the original 3.2 engine.

(I know I should order the complete cylinder head cover, but I'm being a tight git lol!)
  13. Chillout

Chillout Member

It's a lot of trouble to go to but I can see the potential not sure if its worth the risk and the time to strip if it doesn't work properly.
  14. VagPro

VagPro Member

I see your point, looking at this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372244269.680983.jpg

It appears that the function of the diaphragm is only to act as a sealing interface, which would mean that the pressure is regulated by the length (stiffness factor) of the spring

Given the above I will give it a go with the orange diaphragm.

(I've bypassed the rads at the moment so don't need to put the front panel on, hence not that much work involved...)

Keep you posted on how it goes ....

(Yes I like to live on the edge lol)
    autolatry likes this.
  15. Chillout

Chillout Member

Very Austin powers .
    you can only but try worst case it doesn't work and your £200 down but hey the glass is half full
  16. VagPro

VagPro Member

Hey Chillout

Fitted the diaphragm from the 2.0TFSI engine and she idles perfectly fine. It's useful to note that the spring from the 3.2 is longer and given how much it's compressed, this plays a bigger part in regulating the pressure.

So all done now :)
    autolatry likes this.
  17. M12RJX

M12RJX Member

i think i got the same problem on my car! not sure but iv noticed when car is idle it does make a whistle/chiming sort of nice from the left side of the engine bay. not got it checked just yet but wondered how much would something like this cost to get repaired?
  18. VagPro

VagPro Member

The is a small hole in the rocker cover above where the plastic hose connects, that's where mine was whistling from. I believe if the diaphragm is perished the engine operates under full intake manifold pressure which is bad !

You cannot buy the cyclone oil separator by itself so would have to buy the rocker cover, or do what I did and use a diaphragm from an oil separator from a BWE engine.

You will have to take off the intake manifold and rocker cover, that means either putting the front panel in the service position or taking it off.
  19. M12RJX

M12RJX Member

i am not mechanically minded at all mate! lol im rubbish when it comes to things like that. for something like this how much would you say it would cost me to get repaired if i went down the route you have. im not 100percent its the same thing as yours but if it is thanks for ur help. i went on lunch and the noise was gone! so really not sure !
  20. VagPro

VagPro Member

It would take me about 8 hours to do it all. Plus the cost of parts, where your mechanic may want you to get a new rocker cover, or you could just change the diaphragm as I did.