A3 3.2 fans always running

Dansch

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just picked up a 3.2 v6 yesterday and noticed the fans start running as soon as the engine is switched on but they do turn off after about 10 minutes once the engines switched off. Also the temperature gauge doesn't seem to work, maybe linked with the fans? Any help will be appreciated

Yes. Sounds like a temp sensor defective or loom shorting. Temp sensor most likely.
Advise live data monitored as appropriate as first port of call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Sounds like a temp sensor defective or loom shorting. Temp sensor most likely.
Advise live data monitored as appropriate as first port of call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got vagcom, would that show up the sensor? Also how easy is it to change the sensor?

It maybe the sender unit it is located in bottom hose outlet on the radiator. Cheap to replace. Check wiring plug is connected to it. As you stand looking at engine bay it is at bottom right hand side of the radiator. Mine has no engine cover underneath so i just jack it up front passenger side, axle stand, to give room to get head under front bumper. If you look up at rad bottom hose you will see the sender mounted in the plastic.
I had prob with my fans running all the time even with ignition off i had to replace the fans as the fault was with the main fans internals. Got pair from breakers yard been fine ever since. However my temp guage was working.
It maybe as simple as a broken wire. Ten minutes is also a long run on time and could put strain on your battery
Hope some of that helps