A3 2L BKD engine timing belt change mistake

A32992

Reaction score
Might seem like a silly question.

Stupidly changed the timing belt without using locking tools. Just marked everything up.
After re assembly engine runs with a ticking noise and is lacking in power. Can only assume iv gone a tooth out on one of the cams. So iv gone and purchased the correct locking tools.
My question is if I take the belt off, lock the crankshaft in correct position and move the cams slightly in whichever way the need to go in order for both locking pins to go in fully and re fit the belt, should this be ok?? Also, as long as the pins are all the way in, can the 3 bolts on each cam sprocket be loosened to move the sprockets independently of the cams to ease fitting of the belt.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is if I take the belt off, lock the crankshaft in correct position and move the cams slightly in whichever way the need to go in order for both locking pins to go in fully and re fit the belt, should this be ok??

That is the best way to do it. I had a similar problem on a ford galaxy I done a belt on a few weeks ago. I didn't lock the flywheel and the crank moved a tooth out. Just pinned it up in-done everything and moved it back into place.

Once it's pinned the cam pulleys can be undone but the belts are generally pretty tight to get on anyway so you won't gain much from it.

Thanks for the reply! Itl be a couple of weeks before I get the chance to work on the car again. But hopefully that'll sort it out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk