1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 2004 TDI sport engine vibrating problems

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by rob1178, Apr 6, 2009.

1. rob1178

rob1178 New Member

[Apr 6, 2009]
    Hi, i'm new here and also a new owner.

I had my (used) A3 for 2 weeks and the turbo blew. I got it from an Audi Approved dealer.

They replaced the turbo unit (under warranty, phew) and all was well until this weekend. I had it doing 80mph in 6th and was fine, but over 80mph there was a loud vibration from the front of the car. when i slowed down, it went.

It didnt appear to be rev-related as when i stuck it in a lower gear and hit 3000rpm, (more than i was pulling at 85mph in 6th) there was no noise.

I was also aware that my engine was quite noisey under acceleration - the whooshing sound from the turbo seemed loud but maybe this is because its meant to and my old one was broken so it isnt a good comparison.

Performance seems OK too, decent power all the way up. There was no change in performance when the vibration occurred.

I did notice that when idling, the engine block seems to move around quite a bit in the engine bay, and i can feel this when sitting in traffic sometimes. The main dealer saw this when i took it in to get the turbo replaced and they said the broken turbo was making it jiggle about. Now its fixed, its still jiggling!!

any ideas as to what might be the problem?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. SilverSport

SilverSport Guest

[Apr 6, 2009]
    Worn engine mounts???

Or the result of a previous accident?? Hasn't been in a heavy front ender at any time has it??
    I had a Nova that got smashed at the front. Once repaired it used to vibrate heavily when going over about 90mph. As soon as I reduced my speed the vibration would go.
  4. rob1178

rob1178 New Member

[Apr 6, 2009]
    no crash or major damage in history, and wasnt vibrating until yesterday.
  5. SilverSport

SilverSport Guest

[Apr 6, 2009]

Sorry, my bad, didn't read the part where you said all was well until the turbo replacement! :blink:

Take the car back to them and say.... "Oi mate... see my car... it's vibrating now that you've changed the turbo. Can you stop it please?".

Obviously they'll say loads of stuff about it being an impossibility that it's a result of the new turbo.
    But rightly or wrongly.... Bottom line = it weren't there before! Let them deal with.
  6. pdv40

pdv40 Member

[Apr 6, 2009]
    My car has the same vibration issue but is still on it's original turbo and had no major work or crash damage. It's an 07 on 48k miles and due in to Tonbridge Audi for a service and diagnosis on Thursday. I'll let you know if it throws anything up. I suspected engine mounts but the Audi tech suggested that the vibration on idle could be something to do with timing, I can't remember what he called it but there is a system that adjusts the timing to make it idle more smoothly apparently.
  7. pdv40

pdv40 Member

[Apr 9, 2009]
    Quick update - had my service today and took the car for a test drive with an Audi Master Tech, he thinks it's the dual mass flywheel and it's booked in to have that changed, along with the clutch after easter
  8. navnayyar

navnayyar Member

[Apr 9, 2009]
    this is a common fault! something to do with tension in belt, spoke to a mechanic last year who said it is auto adjusting belt and best to replace one it is totally knackered, this was last year and it has now dissapeared, touch wood it doesnt start again tomorrow morning