A3 2.0tdi water pump

Reaction score
My friend is changing his cam belt and thought he'd do the water pump while he's there. He's read some where that you need to pressurise the water system and keep it pressurised. Is this true and how are you meant to do that?

Duh? You have to drain the water, so how can you keep it pressurised? When the pump comes out, there's a great big hole in the cooling system!

Ooooo good come back hahaha personally have no idea what your friendhas been reading. If this is true though i would like to know how its done.

I doesn't make sense to me but he asked me to ask anyway. Might you have to pressurise it afterwards, I'm guessing to test for leaks?

No MX, the pump only circulates the water around this closed system. The pressure comes from the water being heated up, and expanding. Excess water ends up in the header tank. Max pressure is reached just after turning off the engine. Since the block is still very hot, and there is no cooling by the radiator, then for a few minutes at least the temperature/pressure may rise. That will be max pressure and that is the time to look for any external leaks. Anyway, make sure your friend puts the recommended coolant into the system and not plain water.

your friend is changing his cambelt?? and is asking how to keep the water system pressurised with a big hole where the pump should go ?????
sounds like a recipe for disaster.

your friend is changing his cambelt?? and is asking how to keep the water system pressurised with a big hole where the pump should go ?????
sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Spot-on ! His friend doesn't have a clue and should definitely not be messing about with the cambelt.