1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 2.0 tfsi dsg solid brake pedal

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by spikeydoo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. spikeydoo

spikeydoo New Member

[Jul 6, 2011]
    Hello peps

After some advice, every morning I put me foot on the brake pedal & it's solid, as if I'd been pressing the pedal with the ignition off. Brakes seem to be fine after the car has started, but the same every morning.

I was wondering do I possibly have a calliper sticking? How would I go about finding out which one? If stuffed then could be time for some upgraded brakes ...

Probably unrelated - but I had the cambelt & dsg service done recently??

Any help would be most appreciated

I tried plugging into VCDS - but I've gone & bought the wrong lead - dooh....

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 6, 2011]
    Do you mean "Every morning" before you started the car? If so, the thats normal as there isn't any servo assistance due to no vacuum.
  4. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jul 6, 2011]
    Without the engine running the brakes should feel solid/wooden. The minute you start the engine the vaccum should aid the brakes so if solid with the engine runinng 1st thing then it could be you have a small leak in a vaccum pipe. It could have been disturbed when doing timming belt, im not sure of the system on a diesel engine.
  5. spikeydoo

spikeydoo New Member

[Jul 6, 2011]
    Thanks-guys,

Lewis it really is solid - can barely press it.

Khufu - it's the petrol 2.0 tfsi - do you happen to know where this vacum pipe is? When I get some light I'll have a hunt under the hood.

Thanks
  6. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 6, 2011]
    As long as the brake pedal isn't hard when the engine is running all is good mate.

When the engine is running it creates a vacuum which is used by the brake servo to assist braking effort, obviously engine not running = no vacuum = solid pedal.
  7. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jul 6, 2011]
    mmm, i dunno why I thought I read it was a TDi LOL. If you look at the master cylinder/servo there should be a pipe that goes from that to the intake side of things.

[​IMG]

On mine, its the black pipe coming from the black servo.