1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 2.0 TDI Superchip!!! Got it but not 100% happy.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by danjones, May 31, 2005.

1. danjones

danjones New Member

Hi,

I got my A3 2.0 TDI 2004 superchipped on the weekend. I didn't have it rolling road tested as the dealer I used didn't have the facility. I have had other cars remapped in the past and been very impressed but with this car I didn't think it lived up to my expectations.

My first reaction was that it didn't feel that much better!! I can say that it certainly revs higher, and has a better driving characteristic, 3rd and 4th seem to be improved. But as for the stated power and torque figures, I really don't think I've got the power some people have been claming on here and as also stated on the superchips advertisement?? I had visions of claimed 300ft/lb's being awesome but it's not what I expected.

It may be that I was expecting too much. I have decided to book my car in at a well respected local tuner to get my car rolling roaded to get the exact figures. I can't get in unitl next week so I shall post my figures when I get them.

I have also had my car checked for with an OBD II diagnostic tool and it has no faults. So i don't think there is anythink wrong with my car.

I would really apprieciate any comments from other members who have had thier car 2.0 TDI remapped?

thanks,
    Dan.
  2. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

Simply, mine goes like a choo choo.

You couldn't fail to notice the extra power in all gears apart from 1st really.

Get onto Superchips and say you're not happy - even better go to a Superchips dealer with a rolling roll and if it doesn't come out with something similar to their claimed figures you could start on at them for it to be remapped again or else take it off and get a refund.

I know of two cars rolling roaded and Superchipped. Mine and Foxy's over on uk-mkivs and mine put out 186bhp, his 188bhp.
  3. imported_Spin140

imported_Spin140 Guest

Mark don't forget mine ! I have more than happy with my remap and have had my RR figures confirmed on a different set of rollers from those at S/C HQ which gave me the original figures of 180bhp (standard 153) plus 295.1Lbs of torque - JBS Auto designs geve it 179.7bhp plus 295lb this was all pre-miltek so I may have gained a couple of bhp.

As Mark mentioned he and Foxy have both achieved 185/186 this is a realistic figure and you should notice a real difference especially from 3rd gear onwards but surely a good re-map is one that is subtle but of course noticeable.

If you are unhappy after you have it R+R definetly contact S/C HQ and they will sort it out for you, I have nothing but admiration for their excellent customer service. If you need a contact drop me a PM and I still have the technical directors E-mail address.
  4. danjones

danjones New Member

Thanks for your feedback, I have got my car booked in for a rolling road session on friday afternoon. The tuner is also a superchips agent, he says that if all is not as it should be he will be happy to contact superchips HQ on my behalf to sort it out. Unfortuantely he does not have the jig needed to download to the EDC16 ECU, so if any changes need to be done I will have to travel.

I shall just have to wait and see. Thanks again.
    Dan
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
  5. danjones

danjones New Member

Following the doubt I had over the performance of my newly superchipped A3 2.0TDI, I've had my rolling road session today, and the result were as follows: -

All figures were @ the wheels!!

max Power 115bhp
    max Torque 210ft/lb

approx @ the flywheel is: -

max Power 150BHP
    max Torque 260 ft/lb

My suspicions have been confirmed that my remap was not successful.

The guy at the rolling road garage said that my car probably felt a little better because since the ECU had been unplugged, it had re-addapted its driving style because I was reving it harder therefore giving my a slightly higher rev range.

I have spoken with superchips, and they do not understand how this has happened but want to put it right, so I now have an appointment down at the HQ next friday for them to investigate.

Don't know why the remap didn't work, but I'm sure I'll find out.
  6. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

Glad to see they are happy to fix it up with no quibbles... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

make sure you let us know what the outcome is....

And get some piccies (if they allow it!)
  7. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

make sure they pay for your r.r. session, as you were forced to do it to prove your suspicions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  8. a4bob

a4bob New Member

how does chiooing the car affect your insurance? Much more to pay?
  9. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

mine had a 33% loading if I chipped it.
  10. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

Mine said thanks for the letter..we'll look at it again at renewal time next year.

Happy days!
  11. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine said thanks for the letter..we'll look at it again at renewal time next year.

Happy days!

[/ QUOTE ]

Git /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif
  12. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    make sure they pay for your r.r. session, as you were forced to do it to prove your suspicions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd get them to pay for the lot, travel, time off work, RR session... or perhaps just give me the chip for free.

Kev.
  13. imported_Spin140

imported_Spin140 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd get them to pay for the lot, travel, time off work, RR session... or perhaps just give me the chip for free.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely they would pay for all the above especially as you originally went to one of their agents but am sure they will offer something, make sure you get a before and after on their rollers just to satisfy you. My insurance went up by 25% but I had to switch insurers, there is a lenghty discussion on the other A3 section regarding wether to declare or not to declare and opinion seems fairly divided, IMO I would not have bothered but since the addition of my Miltek Exhaust I thought it might arouse the suspision of an examiner in the event of an accident. At only 25% extra though for the extra power still worth every penny, hope it works out well for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  14. cheechy

cheechy Member

Spin - have you felt any additional benefit from the Miltek?
  15. imported_Spin140

imported_Spin140 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Spin - have you felt any additional benefit from the Miltek?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definetly, improved breathability and willingness to rev, will fly up to the red line now if required. The sound is much better, a deeper more resonate sound which is very petrol like on the move. The turbo whistle is a lot louder but most importantly of all it looks superb (IMO) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif.

Before you ask me for pictures I am having difficulty with this as I use the forum at work and have ticked the remember me option on the password and no longer know what it is, would need to log on at home to post pics which I took in readiness two weeks ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

On hols next week so will try and sort before I go..
  16. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

Cheechy are your tail pipes not gone black?

I thought that was the main reason they didn't put them on the TDI on the A3?
  17. imported_Spin140

imported_Spin140 Guest

Not a problem with the pipes Mark, you do get a little soot build up but it just gets added to the cleaning routine but take a look at petrol models and they too have the same effect, probably worth switching to the FSI pipes for the cosmetic improvement IMO.
  18. danjones

danjones New Member

I've just got back from superchips HQ.

They tested my car on the RR right away and It turns out that my car was not standard tune, it was actually 163bhp.

They then reverted it back to standard tune and RR tested it which got it back to 156bhp, they said was good news as it showed the car had not problems.

They then re-wrote the superchips tune in and tested it again, but the power still didn't came up to expected power gains again around 160bhp. They tried it one more time, and it must have worked on that download as when RR tested it gave: -

184bhp
    294ft/lb
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif
    It's awesome!!!!! I'm now 100% happy.

They do not know exactly why the tune didn't work on the first few attempts, but asure me it is all ok now.

I'd like to add that the service provided by superchip HQ was superb, and could not be faulted. Thank you to Dave and Jamie for your exertise and excellent customer service. I'd also like to thank jamie for lending me his new 1 day old Audi A4 avant 2.0 tdi s-line, it had just been remapped this morning with 40 miles on the clock!! I used it to pop and get some food from the town centre . What a car!!

It turned out to be a very interesting and informative day with a great drive back to wales.

I have some picutres which I will post later.
  19. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

Remapped at 40 miles....the dirty little!!!!