1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 2.0 TDi BKD,temperature issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 1989ross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. 1989ross

1989ross New Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Hi guys, new here... had my A3 for about 2 years now and had the same problem for majority of it! Symptoms;

Terrible start on a cold morning..winding over for about 10 seconds and then starts with a splutter,, and if its really cold the revs will be going up and down for the first few seconds.warm morning and its running in half a turn.

Temperature gauge doesnt move at all, doesnt matter how far i travel..

poor MPG

varies in performance from day to day

Things ive done to try and fix it...

New battery
    new glow plugs
    starter motor checked
    Egr valve cleaned
    Remapped
    new thermostat
    new temperature sensor... although this did fix it for around a week...
    new timing belt and water pump.

Would be a massive help if any of you guys might have a clue, because its been many places and nobody seems to have a clue!!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. tdi-man

tdi-man Well-Known Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    think theres 2 temp sensors on these i take it u changed fuel filter
  4. 1989ross

1989ross New Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Yeah i did mate one of the first things i did. It was a bit shi*ted up to be fair! i heard there was a second one down by the radiator... don't want to strip it down to get at it though if im honest was hoping it might be something else!
  5. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Did you use genuine Audi Thermostat and Coolant temp sensor?
  6. 1989ross

1989ross New Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    No it wasnt direct from audi but then it wasnt cheap rubbish either!
  7. Jack_tdi

Jack_tdi Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    Personally I would put the standard map back on.

Check maf and map sensors.

Sounds like an electrical problem.

Strange that the temperature never increases.... Have you felt the hoses when you expect it too be hot?
  8. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo 6+1 Gears

[Feb 11, 2013]
    I had the same problem. Brand new sensor but still broken. Try to borrow one from another car that works properly.
    When I've changed mine and still showed wrong, I've pulled it out and still connected I'warmed the metallic side to see if indeed th needle moves.
    Being new I had doubts that it coud be the reason for wrong indication. But it was.
    And indeed there are two sensors.
  9. B6gav

B6gav New Member

[Feb 11, 2013]
    This sounds like the problem that the Ford mondeo 2.2 ST tdci suffers from, the fuel injectors are the cause on the ford the revs sit going up and down like there hunting just after start up and pressing the accelerator doesnt make a difference,it gets worse when its cold and even worse when its colder, not sure if this relates to the Audi tho, just thought i'd share as you have tried evrything else mate
  10. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 11, 2013]
    1st use audi sensors & change both, to be sure
    2nd were the belts, tensioners & water pump done by audi or someone else, how do you know the timings not of as we did mine yesterday & the seller of the car did a belt change before we bought & its been of by a tooth out on each one, which has caused me numerous problems including bad starts, mpg, hesitation & my mastertech friend was amazed it ran tbh
    3rd I would fit a new starter anyway as can only help, as they get tired after a while, heatsoak & all, fitted new ones to our cars & damn did it make a world of difference
    4th remove the map & check with audi for any ecu updates, as there are a few around that help specifically for issues like this, I know as mine was done
    5th have you tested the egr & imf to make sure these arent faulty
    6th check injection readings & if not near eachother as such, look at performing a diesel purge to clean the injectors a bit

I cant guarantee these will fix the issues, but all of them are worthy considerations & allot you can do yourself.
  11. 1989ross

1989ross New Member

[Feb 12, 2013]
    Thanks for your post... first thing i will do is change the sensors as id rather try the cheaper option first! Well.. it was done before i had it by audi, then i had it done by a local garage,but once its running its sweet as a nut no rough idle or anything like that and i made sure he had the correct equipment to do it, theres no tip-ex on my car!! lol im thinking its either an electrical problem or some sort of fuel or injector issue. Thanks for the replys guys il let you know how i get on!! :)
  12. 1989ross

1989ross New Member

[Mar 11, 2013]
    Changed temperature sensors and i now have a working temperature reading and a bit better cold starting.But still the MPG seems awful, i do mixed journeys some short and some long and ive only done 350 miles on a full tank,, around 29MPG.I used to get more like 450 miles from similar journeys
  13. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[Mar 11, 2013]
    350 miles to a tank does not sound right. You should be getting up to 500 miles/tank. Have you checked the MAF? Did you check injector readings, EGR and ECU update with the dealership as Nigel suggested?