A3 2.0 TDI 170HP Quattro - 230km'h and strange power loss issue

ronald_adi

Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170HP Quattro
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My wife bought a Black Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170HP Quattro with nice black \ red leather interior and 37,000 km's from 2006. We bought it far away from where we live so the drive back home was 1300m's and a lot of fun. We were racing on the autobahn and it did 220 easily and then dragged on a bit to do 230.

Anyway that was a week ago. First strange thing - 3 days ago i took it to be chip tuned to 205hp & 410NM and strangely i didnt reallize any reall difference in power afterwards except that it felt like power begun later in the revs at 2500 rather than 1750.

2nd strange thing,.. 2 days ago my wife was driving and all the power of the car went away. She had to practically crawl home at 20km\h !! and the yello COIL light was on in the dashboard.

This morning I started it and it appeared ok, we drove it to audi for a diagnostic and they said there was a very long list of errors linked to electronics of motor management. And instead of fixing something the twits delete all the errors and gave me back the car and said i should drive it for a while to see if the problem returns. And if it does then they can easier identify what it is.

Now normally that would be fine by me, but next week we have to drive 1500km's with the car on holiday. So i find it too much of a risk to 'wait and see' what happens !!

What do u guys think may be the issue? would it be the chip tuning that confused the engine and the elctronics had to be reset?

Has anyone experienced this before?

Really hope to hear from u.

You mention the car losing power - that wouldbe the car going into limp mode.

This could be caused by lots of things... You should have got the report - it could have just been an overboost issue...

But keep driving it and see what pops up again..

With the chip - is it a reputable tuner? If not, it may not be a proper map and could be causing damage to the engine. The fact that power comes in later may mean the remap is not so good... Id have a word with the tuner...

Fault codes also emmerge when the car is remaped - a few came up when i remapped my a3 tdi but they all cleared...

HTH

Kaz, what is a overboost issue?

I think i will indeed go back to the tuner and ask him about the remap. I hope he has some flexibility to change the mapping. Otherwise i may need to ask for my money back and go somewhere else.

Many things can cause it but it simply the boost pressure limit is exceeded so the car goes into limp mode (no power!)

Many things can cause it - mine done it when it had an air leak or the N75 (boost control) valve can malfunction causing it...

Nothing really to worry about unless it keeps on doing it.

You really need the fault codes so we can help you furtherr as it could be a million and one things...

TBH, the remap doesnt sound too good - the car should instantly feel better, touqey-er, more power - Id definitly revisit him and get him to tweek it - or order an ST3 from here and im sur ethey can post it to you! The St3 is a top remap as i have one and reccomend it highly enough!

EDIT: Sorry - had a bit of a deleting war lol

Kaz, yeah u have been doing some serious deleting! :)

Hey thanks for the advise. I actually have a printout from the dealer of all the fault codes so i will scan it and post it this evening.

In the meantime, could you please give me the website of this ST3? I dont know about it.

Ronald

hi, first, this is the linkc to the diagnosis report with all the errors that they removed. It looks like everything electronic in the car!

http://www.pixum.nl/viewalbum/id/4211277

1. Today i had to go somewhere 170km away and the boost loss issue happened 4 times on the way. Each time i had to park, turn off the engine then back on again. and then the power was back. When the power goes, there is no power above 1800rpm

2. i passed by another audi dealer and they run a diagnostic again. This time only 1 fault message - the MOTORREGELAPPARAAT - motormanagement system - code 01314\004. The dealer said that it very well be fromthe tuning of the car that i did a few days ago.

Shall i ask for my money back from the tuning? Or ask him to re-do it?

Kaz did yours have an air leak as I have had an overboost issues arise on my drive to Italy which maybe a leak & if you did where did yours appear.

hi. the problem was due to the chip tuning. it was tuned above 200hp, which apparently the car cannot take. I re-tuned it to 200 and then it was fine.

Ah that would explain yours for sure, 200 on a stock setup, the guy must have been mad, something would of gave way very soon huh.

Well my research has led me to find out the N75 on my BKD engine is now all in a single vacuum unit known as the solenoid valve block which houses N75 amongst other valves, we'll see what happens on route to croatia, have feeling that block needs swapping out.