A3 170 tdi hybrid turbo ?

dazjones

Reaction score
Im getting the dreaded siren sound from turbo, should i need a new one shall i go for a standard new 1 or a hybrid turbo i keep hearing about , its the 170 2.0 tdi, the only mods ill be having is dpf removed and remap so would a hybrid turbo be of any benefit to me ? And where is best reccomended ?

Have a search for old posts, I believe, going for hybrid will be more than just the cost of the turbocharger.

I too am looking at an upgrade in the near future..

go hybrid! you will eventually need to upgrade clutch too!

I just ordered mine yeaterday for my a3 2.0tdi 140bhp i ordered stage 2 turbo dynamics hybrid, for better performance you will need exhaust decat and a new clutch after yours will burn out, im not ordering clutch until mine is on its way out which will probably soon afte rmy hybrid is fitted and is remapped, i would like to see what bhp and torque a 170 produces with hybrid turbo should be 250bhp+ with turbo dynamics stage 2

Mine is dsg so im thinking im safe for anythin around 250bhp, if running hybrid turbo will i get full benefit if running on standard injectors ?
I dont really want to go too far with it , its just if need something doing with turbo its a reason to upgrade it but apart from that im only looking at remap and dpf delete, had looked into induction kit etc but dont think its worthwhile on tdi

Injectors on pd140 are good for about 245bhp i think, not sure on the 170 engine injectors mite be good for more power, ill be getting injectors after i save up as i have been watching fast and furious and realised that tuning your car and racing can solve every problem in life lol

Reactions: sliced
Injectors on pd140 are good for about 245bhp i think, not sure on the 170 engine injectors mite be good for more power, ill be getting injectors after i save up as i have been watching fast and furious and realised that tuning your car and racing can solve every problem in life lol

lol geeza look at dark side developments they get 140PD to 230bhp for 1.6k, not bad lol

Ive ordered stage 2 hybrid from turbo dynamics and i have all the mods needed to get the 230bhp just need a clutch and i havnt got a clew which one is good for everyday driving and that can withstand the torque of a hybrid turbo, also i will purchase the 1287+ bosio injectors from darkside development as they know pretty much everything about the tdi140 engine

Reactions: sliced
Ive ordered stage 2 hybrid from turbo dynamics and i have all the mods needed to get the 230bhp just need a clutch and i havnt got a clew which one is good for everyday driving and that can withstand the torque of a hybrid turbo, also i will purchase the 1287+ bosio injectors from darkside development as they know pretty much everything about the tdi140 engine
Was chatting to them guys earlier and they said the pd140 injectors were easily good enough for 250bhp. Can't wait to see the progress of your a3 :)

I hope to acheive 230 after hybrid and then if i feel that i need more power i will go for the i jectors but not yeat as i need to save for a clutch, thanks pal i get all my motivation for modding on this audi-sport.net

Im getting the dreaded siren sound from turbo, should i need a new one shall i go for a standard new 1 or a hybrid turbo i keep hearing about , its the 170 2.0 tdi, the only mods ill be having is dpf removed and remap so would a hybrid turbo be of any benefit to me ? And where is best reccomended ?

youd be amazed at how many turbos get returned with nothing wrong with them.
the "siren", is the turbo gaskets, with air escaping, not a knackered turbo

Its comon problem on the 2.0tdi audi a3

plus mine blew on on thursday and it was a mess the mechanic found metal pieces all the way up to the maf

youd be amazed at how many turbos get returned with nothing wrong with them.
the "siren", is the turbo gaskets, with air escaping, not a knackered turbo

i have the same symptoms as dazjones on the 170bhp, notices looking up at the turbo from underneath the car it does seem abit oily around the turbo, could that be the gaskets? can you tighten them at all or do they need replacing?
still pulls well and drives perfect! just with the siren noise

If it was an air leak in the actual turbo charger you would hear a screaming noise not the siren, siren noise is when the bearing fail in the turbo charger

Yeah that's what mine has. But due to the price of a replacement turbo and labour to fit it I'm going to have to live with the noisy turbo for a while :(

My housin was loose creating an air leak then became a boost leak which i then fixed and within seconds of fixing the turbo went bang !

Wel that what i thought rick , best to just go with standard turbo but turbo dynamics are telling me hybrid turbo will take me to about 240 bhp - 250bhp on standard injectors ?

Standard 140pd injectors are good for 240bhp got told this by darkside developments mot sure about the 170 injectors, and 240 is probably achievable running 1.8bar on the stage 2 turbo which is high boost and bot recommended, but it must be achievable on the 170 by running lower boost

170 you will only see roughly same but prob less than 140 injectors. Turbo dynamics stage2 220bhp doubt you will get any more but am looking foward to see results

Why would they put worse injectors on the 170 , starting to regret the decision to get the diesel more and the more i look into it, wish i had gone for the petrol :( time to see what auto trader has to offer lol

How has everyone got on with this, i had the 170 hybrid fiited last year along with straight through exhaust system and a bmc air filter, dpf delete,

Mines a quattro 2.0 and on a rolling road produced 188 bhp with 390nm torque, ive been told i need the firad nozzles to achieve potential of turbo as on the print out the fuel drops to early???

Was about to puchase the nozzles from darkside but after reading this think i need to do some digging...

IMG 0998

How has everyone got on with this, i had the 170 hybrid fiited last year along with straight through exhaust system and a bmc air filter, dpf delete,

Mines a quattro 2.0 and on a rolling road produced 188 bhp with 390nm torque, ive been told i need the firad nozzles to achieve potential of turbo as on the print out the fuel drops to early???

Was about to puchase the nozzles from darkside but after reading this think i need to do some digging...

View attachment 16231
mate your remap bloke is a joke 188 thats crap, id be wantine refund for that, what spec is turbo compressor housing etc etc ?

if you want it renapping properly let me know ill get you custom map done £400 with dyno printout, you should achieve atleast 210bhp on the 170pd hybrid, my 140pd with hybrid will murder your car check my sig ive got that power dyno'd

mate your remap bloke is a joke 188 thats crap, id be wantine refund for that, what spec is turbo compressor housing etc etc ?

if you want it renapping properly let me know ill get you custom map done £400 with dyno printout, you should achieve atleast 210bhp on the 170pd hybrid, my 140pd with hybrid will murder your car check my sig ive got that power dyno'd

My mechanic is very vague but i know its a 170 hybrid, i;m going to stealth racing for a custom map on a dyno on friday, but i've been told because i have no backpressure my fuel is right up and so i need the nozzles uprating bark darkside say there good for 235+, so im having a midbox 3" fitted which should act as a venturi not restricting flow but creating a lil backpressure...