A3 170 TDI hesitation on acceleration

tr1ck

Reaction score
im looking a buying a 56plate a3 170 tdi. On road test i noticed some turbo whistle and a hesitation between 3000-4000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear.
The car has just had the injector recall and software update. But apparently only need 3 injectors replaced.
Has anyone suffered or experienced this problem before?
thanks

im looking a buying a 56plate a3 170 tdi. On road test i noticed some turbo whistle and a hesitation between 3000-4000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear.
The car has just had the injector recall and software update. But apparently only need 3 injectors replaced.
thanks

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read at the faqs thread at the top of the page, lots of useful info in there. Where are you located? One of the guys will probably be along soon to advise you on the injector issue. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Hi thanks, im located in cornwall. The dealer said he would put the car in the garage to try and fix the problem. would be nice as its a really nice car to drive

We'll as its not my car it's one I'm looking to buy. The trader is going to go to Audi and see why only 3 injectors were replaced, he's also going to service it so I presume he will replace the fuel filter

thanks

Maybe its had an injector replaced already & thus part no. fitted is what they fit as part of recall, hence only 3 done.

he's also going to service it so I presume he will replace the fuel filter

Fuel filter isnt routine with a service, so doubtful, so ask them to do it aswell, preferrably in front of you so you know its been done, unless audi do it.

Oright I'll ask them. Also asked them to look at the turbo whistle. So hopefully when they check as I did mention to him about it they'll replace that under his warranty. 'Fingerscrossed'

tr1ck. hello. also live in Cornwall.

I had a 56 2.0tdi 170 SE. Lived with the same problem for 2.1/2 yrs,just as you have described.

Truro Audi replaced all 4 injectors under the recall.

tr1ck. hello. also live in Cornwall.

I had a 56 2.0tdi 170 SE. Lived with the same problem for 2.1/2 yrs,just as you have described.

Truro Audi replaced all 4 injectors under the recall.

has the problem only appeared since the recall?

No.. Bought it in Oct 2009.

After a couple of months noticed exactly as you describe.Thought oh well,but you know something is not 100%.
In april 10.would not fire up (Parked,slightly nose up), Workmen laughed when an Audi wont start,and had to join AA. He checked everything,of course couldnt find anything. After turning key for what must have been 15 - 20 secs decided to awake from sleep.

In the meantime.had it remapped to 215bhp/316torque.now got an amazing new car,acceleration ridiculous,and of course only FWD.so only really liked to go left or right (badboy). about a month later. didnt really want to start,felt as if starved of fuel (been left for 3 days) anyway down to audi for diagnostic,of course nothing wrong,only showed something changed from factory setting. Get in ,I've got my old car back.***.

After getting it put back again to badboy mode.No more trouble for maybe 1 year. then same old hesitation,only very slight tho.

In July 2011 bought RS3 and sold A3 to sons partner for bargain 7k (prob 7/800 off).then disaster 5 days later .he rings me,she totally broken down in Truro.dead as the parrot in the Python sketch.RAC man does quick test and shows injector problems and has to be towed away. They are not much pleased with me now,am i going to cough up.

Anyway a stroke of good fortune saved the day,I find on this forum.the recall for 56 2.0tdi's.Audi replaced them all 2 days later ...no charge.........No longer a problem.

I've got a feeling from other threads o have read on here that the hesitation now after the injectors being replaced is something to do with the software update they done aswell. If that's the case maybe a remap may solve the problem...

The software update isnt or more like hasnt, been done with some injector changes afaik, so you might want to check this.

Problem solved. Was the tandem fuel pump. Found oil on the fuel filter. Audi have replaced the tandem pump, fuel filter cleaned the fuel lines and tank.
Runs perfectly now :) just got to sort the turbo whistle