a3 170 discs and pads change ?

bing

Reaction score
any hints or tips on changine pads and discs all round?

looking to do this next week

I think i need a caliper rewind tool and thats about it for extra tools i think

any info or tips would be greatly appreciated

regards
bing

I fitted Mintex pads and discs to my last A3 TDI and was very impressed with them. You need the winding tool to make life easier for you. During compression of the piston with the tool....if it locks just wind it back the other way. I found both rears producing a hydraulic lock within the caliper so winding it in the opposite direction worked to dissipate the pressure. You dont need to remove the caliper mounting bracket either as the disc slides throught the gap......you'll see what I mean when you ready to take the disc off.

Its a doddle to do.

1. Wheel off
2. Dismount caliper (x2 bolts) and disconnect ABS sensor (L/H side only)and compress piston with the tool.......remember to check the level of the brake reservoir as it will rise as the piston is screwed in.
3. Remove x1 mounting screw on disc and remove disc.....may have to persuade it slightly to get it off.
4. Fit new disc ensuring that youve degreased it as they're normally coated with oil and refit securing screw.....you might get new screws with the discs (I did)
5. Fit new pads and mount the caliper back onto the rail with 2 bolts. Reconnect ABS sensor
6. Check reservoir level
7. Refit wheel
8. Bed the brakes in on road test
9. After everything is settled retorque wheel studs.

I think Ive covered everything. It really is that simple. I did all 4 corners on my last car in about 2 hours and I was in no rush.

If Ive forgotten anything someone will be along to amend the procedure.

If your nearby bring the car along and I will do it for you.............chances are your 100's of miles away.

Broadster thanks again
I am miles away as you suggest, but I am quite happy to do job, done many in the past lol

was wondering how hard/easy it was so I can put aside some time to do it.

weather looks crap this weekend but off all week so will pick a good day

regards
bing