A3 1.8TS clutch

FrOgR

Reaction score
Hi all been a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the cluctch on the A3 is finally on its way out as it rained the other night and was slipping like mad, got out of car and it smelled like a chemical burnt smell. As well as this in the dry it slips as well when dropping in at mid to high revs.

Now since im considering remapping my chip at some stage is there a better clutch out there that will fit straight in (an S3 clutch for example) or should i just get the bog replacement?

TIA

FrOgR,
Ask Rich to hook you up with info on the ECS Stage 1 clutch/flywheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif 17lb steel flywheel vs 22lb oem (But not as light as the 7lb Alu one) with an improved clutch to go with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (It's on MY wish list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
FrOgR,
Ask Rich to hook you up with info on the ECS Stage 1 clutch/flywheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif 17lb steel flywheel vs 22lb oem (But not as light as the 7lb Alu one) with an improved clutch to go with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (It's on MY wish list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the quote already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif nevermind! You'll catch up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

You know what the next questions gonna be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is it easy to fit? or does it require a silly audi only tool. If i get it fitted by a mechanic how much am i looking at roughly?

TIA

[ QUOTE ]
FrOgR said:
You know what the next questions gonna be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is it easy to fit? or does it require a silly audi only tool. If i get it fitted by a mechanic how much am i looking at roughly?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

AmD quoted me £300+vat fitting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif a mechanic will be about half that, maybe a bit more. As long as you trust them and they arent owboys you will be fine.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
FrOgR said:

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">AmD quoted me £300+vat fitting!</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif a mechanic will be about half that, maybe a bit more. As long as you trust them and they arent owboys you will be fine.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH!!! That's almost $600 for LABOR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

And the worst part..... I'd still consider it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Yer must agree with Rich and Drill on this might as well slap a lightweight flywheel in there as well.

I know a really decent non rip off merchant mech in Worksop who will probs get labour.

I know the S3 and TQ use the same size clutch (240mm). Ive heard it is a very good clutch already but not one that likes its pedal being side stepped at every traffic lights. In that case an uprated clutch would be more ideal, But driveablity is another issue with uprated clutches and flywheels. Not too advisable if u only drive in town.

Hey Mo, I thought that was why the Stage 1 kits were so nice. You get increased bite and better performance from the uprated clutch, but retain close to OEM feel. And the Stage 1 steel flywheel is 14lbs as opposed to 22, but not as light as the Alu 7 pounder. So you get faster revs, but without the idling problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yeah but having a lighter weight flywheel would also mean that ur revs drop off a lot quicker and possibly a loss of torque as well. I think that having revs die slower and rise slightly slower is better than having the revs rise quicker but die off quicker

Really?? I would have thaough that as long as you stayed in boost, the quicker drop in revs would be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif After all, most of us have more torque down low, so it would let us use more of the torque band /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Or am I missing the point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Whoops... Time to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif