1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.8TQ cats

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Pontio, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Pontio

Pontio Member

Hi every1,
    As said in the title i would like some info about these cats, it has been stated and proven by some ppl on here that the S3's cats are not restrictive, what i would like to know is what about the cats in question? i am hoping they are the same so i will not have to change them myself..
    Thanks for any help
  2. Drill

Drill Member

Not sure if the cats themselves are the same, but the TQ and the S3 both use dual cats which I think is where the reduced restriction comes from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  3. Drill

Drill Member

OK, engine codes ARX & ARY use part # 1J1 131 701 DX
    BAM & AMK: 8N0 254 400

Don't forget though, the K04 has a different orientation than the K03, so the downpipes (Which bolt straight to the cats) are different (and larger diameter on S3)

HTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  4. Pontio

Pontio Member

damnit.. not what i wanted to hear :-( hopefully there not restrictive and i dont need to change them..
  5. Drill

Drill Member

Well, they COULD be the same cats, and just the "Y" pipe is a different diameter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Does that help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  6. Pontio

Pontio Member

lol, ye. thanks for the info anyhow.
  7. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Member

Front end on tq very resistrictive,i have some photos somewhere of the front pipe and cats,frontpipe diameter very small s3 is much bigger.I fitted a custom 2.5 inch frontpipe and race cat,pick up seems much better and i think torque has improved too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy
  8. olekvi

olekvi Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Front end on tq very resistrictive,i have some photos somewhere of the front pipe and cats,frontpipe diameter very small s3 is much bigger.I fitted a custom 2.5 inch frontpipe and race cat,pick up seems much better and i think torque has improved too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've changed from stock A3 TQ to 3" downpipe and racecat. The car is a bit more responsive, but I you're going to run stock turbo it really isn't worth the money IMHO.
  9. Pontio

Pontio Member

well im wanting to go the ihi route so i'll ask jabbasport what they think..
  10. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

You need a sports cat with the ihi kit otherwise you will melt the stock cat.My 100 cell race cat passed the mot easily.
  11. KEF A3 20V T

KEF A3 20V T Turbo's Rule

will an s3 dual cat fit onto a 1.8t fr?? will it be able to cope with tuning up to bout 270/ 280 bhp ish?? was thinking of putting a k04 turbo on so will need different dp neway so if the cats wil phisically fit under the car al just use oem parts!