1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.8T Sport - Wind Noise through vents?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Floob, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Floob

Floob Member

[Sep 20, 2007]
    Hi,

Just got an S Reg (1998) 1.8T Sport and find that going at about 60mph+ I can hear what sounds like a wind noise coming through the top air vents - passenger side mostly.

Is this normal, anything I can do to minimise this?

Thanks for any ideas.

Floob.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. jbkudos

jbkudos Member

[Sep 20, 2007]
    check its not the window not being full up, hold it either side of the door frame and pull it up to make sure its all the way up! mine did the same its a common fault that one of the brackets that pulls the window up brakes. if this is the case PM me and I'll send you instructions to fix it
  4. Floob

Floob Member

[Sep 20, 2007]
    Thanks very much for your reply, I will go and double check that.
    I was thinking it was something else because I thought that the noise wasnt coming directly from the window.

I have just had the motor replaced in the driver side window as it didnt go back up at all - the dealer fixed it before I picked it up.

I'll let you know if it pulls up some more.

Floob.
  5. Floob

Floob Member

[Nov 15, 2007]
    Well, I've had this looked at, at a couple of places and it appeared to be the door frames.

Here is an excerpt from the invoice:

The work they have done has vastly decreased the noise, but it still needs something done with the trims under the windscreen. I think??

Update:
    Noise seems to be back after I drove around a bit, have my door frames shifted again?
  6. Floob

Floob Member

[Jul 27, 2008]
    Strangely the noise disappears if the air conditioning is on. I can clearly hear it stopping and starting when air con is used.
  7. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Jul 27, 2008]
    Mine does the same!

I'm thinking personally that it's air being forced through the air con unit at speed, hence the whining noise.

When you turn the air con on, it's allowed to flow freely, so the noise goes away.

Think about it, air must pass through some part of the air con system when the compressor is off, because air can still flow with or without the air con turned on.
  8. bl_1969

bl_1969 Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!

[Jul 28, 2008]
    Hi Hi,

Mine does this but only when I have the ECON on... on the climate control. If the aircon is on I don't get the sound increase when I go faster. Dont know if that helps any but you may want to check that the ECON LED (light) is working... especially if your getting the rushing sound but there is no ECON LED on.

Cheers