1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.8T Sport - Timing Belt & Water pump

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by A3Monster, Aug 13, 2009.

1. A3Monster

A3Monster Faster pussy cat!

[Aug 13, 2009]
    Hi All,

Just a quick query - I'm due to have the timing belt replaced on my A3; I've come accross a few posts here that say about having the water pump done at the same time to be on the safe side. Should I do this or have I read wrong?

Mine has done 101320 miles. FSH.:blackrs4:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 20, 2014]

3. A3Monster

[Aug 13, 2009]
    Oh its a 51 plate model in case you were wondering.
  4. dan77

dan77 dan77

[Aug 13, 2009]
    definately get it done aswell, i heard about people gettin the belt done and then a little while later the pump goes bad, and you'll be payin the labour to get it done seperately,
  5. A3Monster

[Aug 13, 2009]
    Thanks mate, I thought I hadn't imagined reading that.

Going on a driving holiday in Cornwall in September and want to get it re-mapped after that so don't want any mishaps along the way..:thumbsup::applaus::blackrs4::kissmyrings:
  6. russ3ll

russ3ll New Member

[Aug 17, 2009]
    do it - having to have my cambelt off to replace a waterpump that wasn't done by the last owner when the cambelt was done....3.5 hours labour for a £30 part to be fixed!
  7. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Aug 17, 2009]
    Mines booked in on the 26th of this month for cambelt, water pump, fuel filter and gearbox oil. Cant figure out if the belts beendone or not and same for the pump so biting the bullet and getting it done, couple hundred quid to say a few gran if it goes! I know what im paying, plus it banging away louder than my bed does :)
  8. A3tell

A3tell Member

[Aug 18, 2009]
    defo get it done!! my waterpump has just gone, so am getting belt done at same time, £350 so dont want to have to do it all again to replace later on.
  9. audi_a3_turbo

audi_a3_turbo Member

[Aug 20, 2009]
    at what mileage is the cambelt meant to be changed on a 1998 audi a3 1.8 turbo sport? mines done 82,000 and dont think its been done yet.
    thanks
    rob :icon_thumright:
  10. Wizza

Wizza BÜBENGRÖPEN

[Aug 21, 2009]
    ^^^It should be done every 5 years or 70,000miles (there abouts) - which ever comes first.

But i have heard some people doing Audi Turbo cambelt changes at only 40,000 regardless of age.
  11. c_dog

c_dog Member

[Aug 23, 2009]
    how much are you guys paying for the cam belt and water pump change?
  12. A3Monster

[Aug 23, 2009]
    Thanks everyone. Its booked in tomorrow to have cam belt & water pump done. They looked at me a bit funny when I said I wanted the water pump done as well!!

Going on a driving holiday in Cornwall in a few weeks so don't want any cock ups along the way...

Being honest, my timing belt was done when I bought the car which was about 30,000 miles ago so its not quite due but want to get it all done while I have the money. Besides, now the old girl has done over 100,000 miles I'm doubly careful.

Its being done at my local Audi dealer; they put a new dash unit in for me a few weeks ago but didn't bother to code the radio up to test it fully. I coded the radio when I got home only to find the top third of the LCD display no displaying the radio info.

Anyway, I figured while its there they may as well do the timing belt and water pump to save me booking it in again.

I'm not impressed with them generally -they lied to me saying they had tested the radio - which obviously is a blatent lie!! Makes me wonder why I'm giving them business but have recently started a new job and could do without the hassle of booking it into another garage and arranging alternative transport on yet another day.

Its booked in at my Trusty local one the week after next for a service.

So annoyed with the Audi dealer really. I am considering writing to the manager about their school-boy error and the middle-man's blatent lies!

:asskicking::gun2::sign_unfair:
  13. A3Monster

[Aug 23, 2009]
    Sorry, off topic but felt like a rant!
  14. Shink

Shink New Member

[Aug 23, 2009]
    If you're near Cirencester, you should consider booking it into Dialynx in Lydiard Millicent (http://www.dialynx.co.uk/index.htm).

They are very good. We talked cam belts while I was there and they said 60k was a good interval, and definitely do the water pump and variater at the same time.

Reasonable prices, too. I paid 320 for a 20k service and a haldex filter change.