1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.8T Quattro Turbo issues.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by liam1.8TQuattro, Aug 6, 2012.

1. liam1.8TQuattro

liam1.8TQuattro New Member

[Aug 6, 2012]
    Hi, can anyone help.

I have an Audi A3 1.8 T Quattro with 115k.

When I am driving the turbo sometimes isn't there at all and when I rev the car it seems as though the accelerator is being strangled. (Struggles to get the rev counter round) After turning the car off and on again the turbo is back working.

Secondly the turbo has just started making a whining noise. Still boosts fine but the noise sounds like something is rubbing on something else?? Quite unnerving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 24, 2014]

3. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

[Aug 6, 2012]
    Limp mode for the strangled revs, possible boost leak for the turbo noise( assuming turbo not fecked!) if you have a big boost leak then the noise and limp mode will likely be related. Can you get it scanned or at least check all the pipe work.
  4. Reesy

Reesy Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 6, 2012]
    Where abouts in the country are you?

Definitely check pipe work and failing that, it could be the end of the turbo. Mine has just come off at 110k and was goosed, despite doing almost 100k at stock power..
  5. liam1.8TQuattro

[Aug 6, 2012]
    Im not sure what turbo has been fitted but the previous owner bought a new one so it's only around 3/4 years old I think so hopefully it's not 'fecked' :).

I don't know too much about turbo's so I will probably have to get a mechanic to check all the pipework.

When the turbo is working however there is no pressure lost it's as quick as it's ever been...

Cheers :)
  6. liam1.8TQuattro

[Aug 7, 2012]
    Just phoned my local garage which I always use he said it sounds like the bearing has gone. Evidently this means that I will need to buy a new turbo.

Any info on which one to buy? What bhp they offer etc.. I understad te k03 is the standard one? Is there another that will fit and what can the other factory parts handle?

Cheers
  7. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

[Aug 7, 2012]
    good chance if a new turbo was fitted 3/4 years ago then it could be a cheap chinese turbo as they started to make an appearance back then, and would explain it failing so soon. Your garage jsut needs to remove the TIP and they can see if there is excess play in the turbo bearings/seals and see any damage, maybe worth them doing that first.

As for turbos , you can either fit a K03 or K03s . The later being a better turbo and capable of around 220bhp with a remap. New turbo's cost around £700, second hands cost anything from £200-£400 depending on condition and a rebuild is about the same.

Don't buy another ebay chinese turbo as it'll only fail again...

Possibly suggest you just face the fact that you've found this website and whether you like it or not you will end up wanting more power at some stage, so just do it all now :) otherwise you'll fit a K03s then get it remapped, then fit an FMic and DP then want more power so end up with a hybrid or K04 and you'll just end up chasing your tail for more power and we'll end up having to change your name Reesy:) but I guess by then he'll have knicked one the engines of my plane and have a jet engined A3 estate...
  8. Reesy

Reesy Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 7, 2012]
    Thanks Dan. :lmfao:

I'd get all the bits fitted first, then get it mapped straight to stage 2.

I would have been happy enough with my stage 2 k03s, but my turbo also died. Go for all out stage 2 and you will see 230+, don't listen to Dan.

And as for a jet engined A3 sportback, that sounds like a plan..
  9. liam1.8TQuattro

[Aug 7, 2012]
    The turbo is a kkk k03s bought in March 2010 for £600+ from Jabbasport...

Im not bothered about tuning the car I just wondered what turbo's offer what and whether or not the standard parts can handle anyhing other than the stock turbo.

Cheers for the responses :)
  10. olly quattro

olly quattro Member

[Aug 7, 2012]
    also worth understanding how teh first turbo failed, if it was from a sump sludging issue or blocked oil line then this woudl of taken teh new turbo out too if left un cured.....