a3 1.8 t tuning with mileage around the 100k plus mark?

adama3t

Reaction score
hi everyone im looking into buying a a3 1.8 ,

but they all seem to be 100k plus unless you want to spend alot more on one thats less than 80k.

so i was wondering if you can still modify i.e uprate the turbos etc with mileage over 100k

just wanted your opinions and advice

my mates 1.8t sport ko3s is at 165000 and has been running on a stage 2 amd map with a 26psi boost spike settling to 23psi for 2 years making 208bhp and 247bls or torque... stock intercooler aswell!!! seems fine, guess it depends on the history but my mate drives it like he stole it lol!

Arn.

Please stop giving advice.

26psi on a K03 is not fine.

Especially not on a stage 2 map, with a standard intercooler at 26psi.

Last edited:
lol, i didnt mean its fine to do that, i guess i should elaborate more!-) its not blown up, although it does show they can still take serious abuse at high mileage.

i just want to find one thats been looked after but obviously i dont want to up the bhp and then it blows up because of the high mileage.

i read somewhere that the 1.8t engine is seriously strong and can take alot of power , so the ones ive been looking at are around the 110k-130k mark so hopefully these engines can still take the power with this mileage

The engines are pretty strong, the issue is only reall that the conrods can give in around the 300bhp / 300lb-ft mark. Some have worked fine and on some cars, they have bent / snapped at less.

well i was thinking tuning to around 250 bhp but do you think that would be ok on one thats done around 120k? couldnt you change the conrods if you wanted to go with more power ?

im sure klappe said to me 275bhp and 275bls of torque is safe-ish on an s3 but i believe ko3'd cars have slightly thinner rods, dunno if they can take the same?

get a car with a ko3s as standard and you can make close to that bhp and monster torque on the standard turbo, the guy who posted above klappe has one of if not the fastest 1.8t on this forum!-)

AGU cars have 20mm wrist pins and are just as strong as any S3 engine.

Whether your car will blow up or not is a total lottery, nobody can put a time power or age limit on it.

My car for instance is 245bhp and 319lbft, totally stock internals and producing far more torque than any K04 car, and is the most "powerful" K03s cars on this forum and one of the most powerful non-meth assisted K03s cars in the country. And it's torque which bends rods, which mine has a lot of.

It's on 125K, original turbo and actuator. And is perfect.

My last car was on 192K, and was also totally stock internally. And had never had the head off it; it was a "genuine" stage 2 car with circa 230bhp and 290lbft.

Was perfect.

Prawns car managed 210,000 without the head ever coming off it. Also a 230bhp/290lbft K03s.

I've had friends with 80,000 mile 220bhp A3's bend rods. Because they were mapped by clowns.

Take your car to Niki at R Tech, or Bill at B5 and you can be sure that your software will be perfect. So all you've got to think about then is your hardware, which is the smaller half of the battle.

thank you for the info that really helps :)

i no that the pre 2000 a3s have larger ports ? so there better engines ?

theres so many engine codes it confuses me ! lol

No benefit on a K03 car, just loses torque.

AGU = ME3 ECU, no boost monitoring, no map sensing, three wire bolt down coil packs with separate ignition amplifier, 20mm wrist pins and a large port head. Also has a gay K03 turbo.

AUM = ME7 ECU, boost control is much more accurate, tuning options are far more technical and adjustable, push down coil packs, 19mm wrist pins and small port head. Slightly less gay K03s.

I'm sure I've written all of this out before haha.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ations-k03-k03s-agu-aum-engines-fwd-cars.html

Reactions: JudderMan and kwistof
thats really good infomation thank you for your time , i have to think agu or aum? lol

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

If you could have an AGU with AUM management, win.

my vote is for AUM ;) just gonna repeat the above really, basically millage is kinda irrelevant its more the history and more importantly getting it mapped by decent tuners regardless of where you live, R-Tech or badger 5 is worth the trip

well ill hopefully find a decent a3 with good service history, then i can go from there , ill try and figure out how to do a build thread once i start.

could i ask what is the performance like at around 230/250 bhp ? i

well ill hopefully find a decent a3 with good service history, then i can go from there , ill try and figure out how to do a build thread once i start.

could i ask what is the performance like at around 230/250 bhp ? i

Jardo has many videos, go through his posts and you'll find them. It looks brutal.

Was 245 and 319 at last rolling road, but as always it could be anything.

Not the fastest car in the world ever, but great for a daily driver.

no but that is still good what was the 0-60 time roughly ? thats what i want a good 0-60 time ;)

Hi There I have audi a3 agu 1.8t iv put on a Forge recirculating valve 0008 and a piper cross panel filter. I want to go all the way when it comes to tuning just wondering what else can I do and also if you put an induction kit do you completely take off the ignition amplifier module because this is causing me problems as am assuming the dirty jerking of the car is because of that.? PLZ HELP!!!!

Hi There I have audi a3 agu 1.8t. I want to go all the way when it comes to tuning just wondering what else can I do PLZ HELP!!!!

:uhm:

There is a perfectly good link within this thread that has already been mentioned....

I'll give you a clue- it's in post #12 ;-)

Hi There I have audi a3 agu 1.8t iv put on a Forge recirculating valve 0008 and a piper cross panel filter. I want to go all the way when it comes to tuning just wondering what else can I do and also if you put an induction kit do you completely take off the ignition amplifier module because this is causing me problems as am assuming the dirty jerking of the car is because of that.? PLZ HELP!!!!

Think about it dude... the ignition module is required for the coils to actually work... your 'jerking' sounds more like an airleak or dodgy MAF

<tuffty/>

these cars seem to have so much tuning potential so much fun . there really well built too not like rattly japanease cars or especially the french cars haha

Hate to say it but if I was gonna go fwd I'd go golf or leon cupra r myself. The leons look much more modern than our old gals!-)

I don't like LCR's.

They are much heavier, cost three times as much, have too many doors and portray a shocking image unless tracked up :(

Last edited:
I had a cupra before 2001 reg 1.8 t hated it it felt too heavy and tbh I couldn't deal with the big "S" badge on my car lol,