A3 1.8 buying?

hartgeh3

Reaction score
Hi all,
Abit of a noobie here be gentle :)
Been looking at afew 1.8s, SE, Sport and 1.8T's but would like the know the main differences between the model specs?

How long do the turbos last on the 1.8Ts? are high miles (100K odd) ok?

any help would be great.

thanks

I've never heard of turbo failure on a 1.8T. It's a light-pressure turbo so should be able to withstand 100K miles easily I would have thought. Make sure the cam belt has been changed if the car's done more than ~60K-80K miles, and if it's an early model check the water pump has been changed too. Apart from that the engines are very strong.

I would expect the suspension to be well and truly shot on a high mileage car though, especially the rear dampers which are a bit weak, so check these have been changed. The suspension bushes probably won't be too clever either.

As far as specs are concerned, I think the Sport models have slightly lower suspension and checkered patterns on the seats. Obviously the 1.8T has a turbo! There may be other differences too.

HTH.

The sports version should be a little lower than the SE with harder suspension set up, you should also get front sports seats

I think the SE came with A/C as standard as well but i'm not 100%

If you can afford it i'd go for a turbo over the normal 1.8 as there is a lot more you can do to them if thats what your looking for.