1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a3 1.6

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by peter_C_07, Jan 2, 2007.

1. peter_C_07

peter_C_07 New Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    Hi im new to this forum but was wondering if anyone could help me im in the process of buying a standard a3 1.6 (due to insurance) but i want to change some of the parts i.e bumpers, wheels etc so its basically an s3 lookalike only i cant really find many places that do the bumpers any ideas were i can get them and roughly how much??? much appreciated

peter
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 30, 2015]

3. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    Hi there, first thing i would stress is, i have a 1.6 and i really wouldnt bother, slow and you get terrible mpg, buy a turbo or tdi. Things also seem to go wrong in threes with all of these cars. I know you say its down to insurance but even the 1.6 is a group ten, thats golf gt tdi rates - i kno which id have if i could go back......

Anyway, if you're insistant on a 1.6 A3 then its easy enough to change the wheels, plenty of 18's will fit straight on and are probably the best looking without causing you other problems. S3 bumpers can be put on front and rear but be warned sourcing them might be a bit of a pain in the ass, and not cheap as S3 bits are fairly rare.

If its a pre-facelift its also fairly easy to fit the facelift lights.

I have heard the S3 skirts can be adapted too, however im not sure as i have only ever done the bumpers, and believe it might take a bit of work as the rubbers are slightly different around the doors on both models.

Hope this helps.
  4. Ed

Ed Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    I would echo what rodenal says.
    I have a 1.6 sport and its pretty gutless!
    I went for the 1.6 for insurance reasons, but after building up another years no claims I am now looking out for a 1.8t!
  5. paul_brad

paul_brad Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    ...and by sticking all that extra gear on your car, you'll be invalidating your insurance anyway. Unless you declare it all, then you'll be at the 1.8T prices then! Careful.
  6. skyliner34

skyliner34 Savin' & Lookin' for an A3!

[Jan 2, 2007]
    I'm thinking of getting a 1.6 SE Audi A3 as well.

Mainly because of insurance (only 19). And I can only afford a 1.6, I need a car asap really and I cant save up any more :(.

Will the 1.6 be ok for daily work trips (32 there and back)? At the moment I'm getting lifts and drive my bros 1l Micra which is really gutless, 0-60 16s.

I cant find any Golfs around my area. And I cant get the time off to commute a long distance to get a car.

Am I making the right move?

Thanks
  7. Ed

Ed Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    I drive 32 miles to work and back every day and I manage OK. I spend about 40 quid a week on petrol though (including personal use), averaging about 24mpg, although I do like to zip to work :p

Have you looked at seat leon's skyliner? The 1.8t is great and really similar to the 1.8t of the a3. They are considerably cheaper to buy and run (cheap service's etc).
    The 1.6 a3 is a big step from your micra and I'm sure you'll love it (like I did when i changed from my 1 litre polo), but you have got to ask yourself if you will still love it 6 months down the line!
    I haven't had my 1.6 very long and i've already got one eye open looking for good deals on a 1.8t.

Test drive some cars. You've gotta be tough and not buy the 1st one you see, otherwise you just might live to regret it!
  8. skyliner34

[Jan 2, 2007]
    Hehe, you sound like my Dad:)

In 6 months down the line, I might trade the 1.6 in for a 1.8. Insurance will be cheaper for me by then, and I'd have much more money as well.

So I dunno!!, I'm confused
  9. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    Yeah you will notice a big difference going from a 1.0 micra to a 1.6 sport, for a n/a 1.6 they arent slow, probably amongst the top quarter infact (not including the small frenchies, Vtrs etc) - its just that compared to the rest of the A3 range its a bit laughable, and you'll feel that fairly quickly.

Also the mpg thing really annoys me. If you can afford a 1.6 A3 then why not buy something else and keep it for a year. Plenty of nice Leons around, as said and its the same car really, insurance much lower too.
  10. PocketRocket

PocketRocket Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    May look the same, but interior materials on the A3 are far better quality ;)
  11. skyliner34

[Jan 2, 2007]
    Thanks.

I'll look out for the leons. I'm worried about the common electric faults they have, which is expensive to repair(apparently!)

As for fuel. I think the the 1L Micra is terrible for fuel consumption. You do 60MPH and the little engine is reving like hell (too low geard, and needs 6th), and you can nearly watch the fuel pin go down. I've put £15 in earlier after work. On the way home from work on Saturday I will probably need a top up. The 1.6 A3 can't that bad!, can it?. That said, it's never let me down, and it's a great car around town.
  12. peter_C_07

peter_C_07 New Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    thanks a lot guys i was looking at a few golfs but i really fell in love with the a3 i know its probably a lot different from the rest of the a3/s3 range but for basic drive quality and interior quality etc etc i think it would probably be ok as i wont be driving the car that much and same here im driving a ka at the minute and its tough goin driving this thing haha iv drove a s3 about 2 years ago and it was unreal so i think i am in love now. ha

thanks for the help
    peter
  13. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 2, 2007]
    In terms of space fair enough, but every ka i've driven kicks the ass off my a3 for the actual drive.............
  14. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Jan 2, 2007]
    Another member of the 1.6 club here... And yes, I have to agree, there are some drives to work that make you think it'd struggle to pull you out of bed, and yes it would be nice to be able to get to the speed limit that bit quicker (*nods to our number who drive multi-coloured cars (or I guess the odd desceptively dirty Merc/Range Rover) at work* ;)) - but it's not *terrible*

If you're looking for a comfortable way to get from A to B, any A3 is a reasonably nice place to sit in my humble opinion; and OK with a 1.6 engine in the front you're not going to break any land speed records but they're also not the slowest car on the road, and plenty quick enough to lose your licence.

Just my 2p's...

Regards,

Rob.
  15. Tequie

Tequie New Member

[Jan 3, 2007]
    we were all 19 once, and yes the eagerness to get your first car is a strong one ... but ... yo ualready mention you will trade it after 6 months ... my opinion is to wait, you always loose money buying and selling cars so you're much better off getting the right one up front. The money I have wasted on cars over the years ... ohh that's another story!

Closer to the mark here, I was looking at A3's for 2-3 weeks (not very long) I test drove a 1.6 and loved it, was ready to buy it, then another one popped up, it was a 1.8 Turbo and it was $2,000 less. The difference is amazing, so much nicer to drive. The 1.6 I would floor it everywhere whereas the 1.8t drives a lot less effortlessly. I would very strongly advise you to wait and get the better car up front.

Just my 2c worth (we dont have p's here)

Audi A3 '98 1.8t Black
  16. skyliner34

[Jan 3, 2007]
    Thanks guys. Very intresting read.

I'm keeping my eye out for the 1.8 A3's and Golfs ...etc

It's just how long can I keep getting lifts into work. Hopefully something will turn up at the right time :)

Probably true. I drove my Dad's new shape 2l Primera. And it was really relaxed and effortless to drive. You'd do 80Mph whithout knowing and trying. I guess the Audis are like that, very relaxed and nice to drive. The passengers are well padded from the outside world. But the Ka's and Micras are so "tin can" it's fun to have a little engine rev and go kart steering.

Just my £2 ;)