1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.6 to 1.8 turbo conversion. Advice please...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Fahd, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Fahd

Fahd Member

[Jan 30, 2011]
    Hi guys, I was hoping to get some advice on an A3 1.8 turbo conversion in an A3 1.6. I understand that most people would probably advise just trading the 1.6 in and buying a 1.8 but this particular car has a lot of value to me, it's absolutely immaculate and I know it's been very well looked after from new. To add to this, I'm able to buy a 1.8 turbo engine for pretty cheap and I wouldn't find the engine swap particularly hard assuming it's straight forward. Could anyone who's done this/ a similar project give me any advice? how much exactly will I need to swap out? obviously I'd need to fit the new engine with a turbo and mount and inter-cooler as but what else? new ECU? do the 1.6 exhaust headers fit the 1.8 engine or would I have to change the exhaust system too? what about the speedometer? (I'd like to keep my own unless absolutely necessary as they verify very low mileage). I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who know what you're talking about in regards to this. Thanks!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. TOM.S

TOM.S Active Member

[Jan 30, 2011]
    Don't do it! its gonna cost more than buying a 1.8t.
    if however u decide to do it.
    ur gonna need : the engine (of course),ecu and other electrical stuff,gearbox ,upgrade on suspension(the 1.6 is a litle bit lighter and its suspension might not take the extra weight)upgrade the brakes(bigger discs,not sure about the pads) and more...
    I was thinking about the same thing a couple months back, but when i got trough the list of what everything i will ned to change/replace and aded up the cost... the decision was simple.... I bought a decent mileage X reg (newer/facelift model) 1.8T with leather interior,18 inch rs4 reps,scorpion exhaust already fitted,got it taxed,mot'd,serviced/fixed ... AND!!! still saved around £650 comparing to what would cost the conversion project.
    but in the end its your car,your decision to make.
  4. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

[Jan 30, 2011]
    Sorry but.................... just buy a 1.8T :)
  5. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Jan 30, 2011]
    hope you have deep pockets and loads of time
  6. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

[Jan 30, 2011]
    If you could get everything cheap then i would say do it

But as the prices of parts still high then i say don't bother and just buy a 1.8t
  7. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 30, 2011]
    If you are going to do it, drop an S3 1.8T along with twin intercoolers or go FMIC to make it worthwhile. If your intent is to go 1.8T 150bhp, then I would just buy a 1.8T, but if it's a conversion, might aswell go the whole hog and aim for 210/225 power, with the potential of 250+ with a remap.
  8. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

[Jan 30, 2011]
    Agreed
  9. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 30, 2011]
    There are more differences that just the engine. The Box, shafts, uprights, front brakes and hubs. Then the engine, with turbo, manifolds, starter, alternator and all sensors. Intercooler and plumbing, water pipes/ Maybe fuel pipes and fuel pump i can't remember.

Engine loom with ECU, also need a registered version of VAG com to code the immo.

So sell the 1.6 and buy a 1.8t or enjoy the the cheap insurance and petrol of the 1.6
  10. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Jan 30, 2011]
    you're going to need the complete engine, ECU, loom, and I think clocks too. You'll also need the full exhaust from turbo to tail pipe, front hubs, discs, calipers, carriers, driveshafts. I believe you'll also need the gear shifter and cables too as these look different on a 1.6.

It's possible, but really what you need is a crash damaged 1.8T to take all the bits from
  11. Fahd

Fahd Member

[Jan 31, 2011]
    Oh wow, that sucks. Pretty much every reply in this thread implies it's far more effort than it's worth. I guess I'll just have to keep the A3 1.6 lump in there for now as I really don't want to sell the car. Has anyone on here fitted a Rotrex Supercharger to their 1.6? supposedly they are good for an extra 65BHP and fitting would be a lot less complex than the work required for the 1.8 turbo conversion...

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 3

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 1

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 2
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  12. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Jan 31, 2011]
    I really like that. Fantastic S3 replica as well.