A3 1.6 petrol - strange exhaust noise

chips

Reaction score
I’d be interested to know if anyone’s heard the same reply from Audi dealer regarding strange noises coming from the exhaust system on A3 1.6 SE (102bhp) when started and revved from cold:

Dealer response:
“Flat/wheezing noises come from two blowholes (or drainage holes) machined in the exhaust system (one in pipe/one in back box)” – Apparently the same exhaust system is used on all petrol 1.6 & 1.4’s and they’ve had a number of complaints about them.

I had dealer source another 1.6 and put it side-by-side and it does have a similar sound.

Noise sounds as if a seal has gone near the engine outlet manifold and would explain why it is less noticeable when vehicle’s fully warmed up. If they do put two blowholes in the exhaust the next question is why only on the 1.6/1.4 petrols and not elsewhere? Also – why would the noise suddenly appear (after approx 3-4000 miles from new)?

My 1.6 started making strange noise two weeks after i bought it.
Its been in with audi twice first time they said nothing wrong and then they said there could be a little hole but all 1.6 sound the same but at the time they said they never ahd another 1.6 on the court. I wanted to hear another 1.6 from mine. ITs annoying though because mine sounds bad and then at times its just not there like this morning it was really loud and sounded like i had a stone in the exhaust system after a few minutes its stopped. Some times i just rev her abit for a few secounds and the noise goes away. Hope this was able to help :thumbsup:

p.s audi said if i wanted it gone have to buy another exhaust

yeah sounds like the same problem as mine - comes and goes, def less noticeable when engine has warmed up. makes me think its a sealing issue rather than something due to any holes that may be in the exhaust on purpose.

yeah sounds like the same problem as mine - comes and goes, def less noticeable when engine has warmed up. makes me think its a sealing issue rather than something due to any holes that may be in the exhaust on purpose.

Could actually be like lucky i've booked my car in at a garage for next tuesday to see what they think (not audi). And actually find the problem because its been abit load lately and its annoying. And plus thinking of upgradeing my exhaust system. You decided what your going to do with your problem?

Ashley

I’d be interested to know if anyone’s heard the same reply from Audi dealer regarding strange noises coming from the exhaust system on A3 1.6 SE (102bhp) when started and revved from cold:

Dealer response:
“Flat/wheezing noises come from two blowholes (or drainage holes) machined in the exhaust system (one in pipe/one in back box)” – Apparently the same exhaust system is used on all petrol 1.6 & 1.4’s and they’ve had a number of complaints about them.

I had dealer source another 1.6 and put it side-by-side and it does have a similar sound.

Noise sounds as if a seal has gone near the engine outlet manifold and would explain why it is less noticeable when vehicle’s fully warmed up. If they do put two blowholes in the exhaust the next question is why only on the 1.6/1.4 petrols and not elsewhere? Also – why would the noise suddenly appear (after approx 3-4000 miles from new)?

My 1.4T sounds luverly and for a little motor has quite a pleasant little growl when working a tad :happy: but my prevoius 1.6 did have a strange note like a exhaust valve chuffing :confused:

When i had an A3 1.6 with 34miles on the clock as a courtesy car i noticed the exhasut was blowing, i was 100% sure that the exhaust was blowing due to the noise but later when i spoke to the dealership they said it was ment to be like that.

So yeah don't worry about it!

yep mines not the quietest of exhausts but its not blowing. i wouldnt worry too much

started mine up this morning and it sounded like a diesel

people sit in it and say it has excellent sound proofing, and when sat at the lights you can barely hear a whisper from the engine, but wind down the window and it sounds a bit tractorish early in the morning