1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.6 converted to LPG

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by biryets, Jun 16, 2007.

1. biryets

biryets New Member

[Jun 16, 2007]
    Yesterday I took my new A3 1.6 to be converted to LPG. I have the basic non-FSI engine.
    At today's fuel prices, I don't need a Humvee to break even very quickly. Audi warranty for fuel injection system is voided I know but this engine has been around for some time and should have no surprises.
    This evening I was so excited. It was just how I felt before my A3 was deliverd brand new.
    When I picked it up, we went to the fuel station and I was shown how to top up with LPG.
    I've now taken it for a test drive 20 miles round London and sofar I'm impressed.
    The installation is the new sequential gas injection KIT. After abit of a sprint on the M25, I could not detect any difference in power.

Positives
    -Good job done by garage. LPG-filler cover colour matched with my bumper (Akoya Silver)
    -very hardworking, friendly and helpful mechanic. (job done in 1 day)
    -Cannot tell difference between running on petrol or LPG. I cannot even tell even when the changeover occurs.
    -The setup does not tamper or even affect the original petrol system. when you switch to petrol, its like the LPG system never existed.
    - Price of LPG
    -I don't wake the whole neighbourhood when I start my car on a cold morning (the car starts on petrol and transfers to LPG when the engine is warm enough)
    - And its not as bad for the envirnment like petrol or diesel.

Negatives.
    -The smell of gas (like house hold cooking gas) when you disconnect the LPG nozzle after filling up.
    -Loss of spare wheel as that is the location of the LPG tank. - I never liked the space saver wheel any ways. I had to use the spacers that allow you to fit a full size spare wheel in the place of the spacesaver spare. I'll now carry those puncture fix spray cans.
    -A small loss of boot space because the floor is raised. (not much space in my opinion) I can still fit every thing I could before.
    -LPG filling takes abit longer than petrol or diesel. about 1 1/5 times i.e. 5 mins instead of 3 minutes.

Stay tuned as I'll post some pics and keep you updated with my experience with LPG.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Jun 16, 2007]
    Interesting read but you forgot a crucial "negative" - the much lower MPG of LPG. Combined with the much lower price you do win overall but it does mean the half-price at the pump isn't quite as good as it looks.
  4. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Jun 16, 2007]
    yeh lol that engine is probably only capable of 30mpg anyway so with lpg prob down to 25! Think you can get that out of a 2.0T fairly easily correct me if im wrong??? With lots more power! Seems a bit of a pointless exercise to me?????
  5. biryets

biryets New Member

[Jun 16, 2007]
    I've been driving all day and still on my first tank of LPG. Can't say what the MPG is. I'm still cruising. Out of curiosity, I tested the top speed and it is the same for LPG as for Petrol. Not on public roads off course. I don’t plan to drive at those speeds anyway.

BTW not every one is an Alonso/schumacher wannabe. Some of us prefer to enjoy the scenery while listening to the soothing music in comfort.
    I'm very happy with its performance. If I wanted to show off I’d have a ford Focus ST or some other Boy racer toy.
  6. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Jun 16, 2007]
    in which case rather than spend a wad of cash on an lpg conversion why didn't you spend more on the car and get a diesel? (still slow as you prefer) but would be a wiser investment, you will never get your money back for the lpg conversion when you come to sell as the base car just isnt in demand - if it was a 3.2 i expect it would be a superb idea, given the performance benefits and high fuel consumption