1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 1.4 TFSI to a 2.0 TDI Stronic?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MattyW19, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

[Nov 29, 2012]
    Hi Guys,

As insurance is a bugger for me due to my age (19) after browsing the web I found a 2.0 TDI S tronic Black Edition 12 Plate.

I've had a look for some quotes and it's abit of an arse but I can just about get insured on it. My journey consists of a 65 mile stop-start dual carriageway.

I've currently got a 1.4 TFSI Manual S Line 11 plate, but as my journey consists of thousands of gear changes I'm really tempted by the S tronic. I'm not really seeing this as a step up powerwise, however with the mid-range torque I'm sure accelerating would be a doddle.

I'd be looking for about £16,500 for my current A3 selling it private. Would it be worth privately selling my A3 because of it's immaculate condition, which would cost me 4,000 for the change?

Do you think this would be worth it, or?
  2. Paul76R

Paul76R Member

[Nov 29, 2012]
    I'm sure you will find it a step up in performance!

I had a A1 1.4Tfsi S-line as a courtesy car and although i was impressed by it for a 1.4, it was by no means anywhere near my 2.0 tdi and mines an older pd engine, the new cr engine in the one your looking at will be evening better!
  3. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

[Nov 30, 2012]
    Are you sure you've not got the 170BHP version?

Looking at the figures, on the PD engine the 0-60 figures is:

1.4 TFSI - 9.1
    2.0 TDI - 9.2

Other than midrange torque, I find it hard to belive that it will be a step up in performance. My friend has a 10 plate 2.0 TDI Golf, testing them back to back on 'private' land, proved they were kneck and kneck.

As I do rather alot of accelerating, have the power low-end instead of up the RPM's would make it more useable for everyday situations.
  4. I oOEddOo I

I oOEddOo I Member

[Nov 30, 2012]
    Matty if you don't mind me asking what is your insurance at the moment ?? cos I had a 2.0t BE 59plate cost me jst ova 2k to insured
    2.0tdi shouldn't be a problem I guess
  5. MikeCorleone

MikeCorleone New Member

[Nov 30, 2012]
    I've got a '62' plate A3 2.0TDi S-Tronic (140) BE 3DR and the best insurance quote I got UNDER MY NAME (20 years old), not a named driver with my Mum, was £3000 from a company called Ingenie... They fit a 'Black Box' to the car that measures your G's in terms of acceleration, braking and steering.

NOT CHEAP!
    Hopefully my renewal next year will drop :crying:
  6. Paul76R

Paul76R Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    Mines definitely a 140, but my handbook quotes 8.9sec 0 to 60 for a 3 door S-Tronic?

Its also got more hp, torque and a larger engine than the 1.4 but ultimately its down to how you feel it drives, the 1.4 i tried was a 7 speed S-Tronic and seemed to be forever changing gear, something the 2.0 TFSI & TDi doesn't do with its 6 speed box.

£3K for insurance? Where do you live? I pay £260 fully comp on mine, never paid more than £350 for insurance even when i was 17!
  7. dstev

dstev Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    Bloody hell you must all have very good jobs at such a young age, or a very wealthy Mummy or Daddy!
  8. MikeCorleone

MikeCorleone New Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    £3000 because I live near Central London! Although I did tell them it's parked on a private driveway.

Also the fact that I've had my licence for less than a year! I can't wait for those <£500 days!
  9. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    Hmm, fair enough. With regards to the engine size, that doesn't make a difference, it's how long it holds on to the power for - Which a diesel for example only has a couple of thousand of power, whilst the petrol holds it throughout the rev range so in theory they are well balanced - that's why I'm not seeing it as a step up! In relation to the gearbox, I've had a little run in one of those 185 A1's, pretty nippy little thing, but the gearbox was always changing, I think it's down to the short gear ratios!

My two quotes are high 3k's - If anything, i'm sure insurance goes up until your 25!! :(

Wow, I wish I could get insured on the 2.0 TFSI !

I spoke to the dealer today, and they wouldn't knock a penny off the asking price.. Is that fair?
  10. I oOEddOo I

I oOEddOo I Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    I spoke to the dealer today, and they wouldn't knock a penny off the asking price.. Is that fair?[/QUOTE]

Its definitely not fair is their lost if they want your business but I am sure there are more 2.0tdi BE out their in your similar price tag.
  11. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    They returned my phone call after the offer and said:

The car is the cheapest in the area (Which it isn't) - But they bent that by saying there policy is to be cheaper within a 100 miles.. funny how there's one cheaper in a 110 miles radius.

Also, that the car is priced to sell - They have already dropped it 2,000. They also claimed that the car will sell within 2 days, as they have had a number of calls about it today.

:haha:
  12. I oOEddOo I

I oOEddOo I Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    well that is what they all say but if it isn't sold in the next two days then you can tell them where to go / they have lost your business . well from my point of view you should just let this one go and look elsewhere but I know how you feel in your position which is hard to let it go, this is a waiting game for you
  13. Paul76R

Paul76R Member

[Dec 2, 2012]
    In truth it does sound well priced for a 12 plate black edition from a Audi dealer, i've had a quick look on the website and there aren't that many 12 plates, S-Tronic at around the £20k mark.

Having said that i would call their bluff and leave them for a few days to see if it "sells within 2 days", if it does then there are a few other possibilities out there depending on how far you'd travel. Rather than try for money off the asking price, try asking for free accessories or a lower finance rate to clinch the deal.

When i bought my A3 it had already been reduced by £1500, but because i knew they'd had the car in stock a few months and by playing them off against Exeter Audi i got it reduced again by another £1500, so it is possible to haggle.

Have you been for a test drive and met someone at the garage? If they see you already have not only an Audi, but a newish one then they might start thinking your a serious buyer rather than your average teenager who is dreaming and probably wasting their time.