1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 04 Dash clock (time) keeps changing??????AAAAARRRRRR????

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sleeper., Apr 3, 2012.

1. sleeper.

sleeper. New Member

[Apr 3, 2012]
    Hiya
    wondering if you can help.
    The time on the dash keeps changing randomly.
    It can be set to the correct time and within a few days it changed to whatever it feels like!
    It can happen over night or take a few days of even weeks.
    Its just the time, everything else is ok. Really doing my head in!!
    Ive looked everywhere and only found one post on all the audi forums and that did not have a responce.Anyone come accross this before or know of any fixes?
    cheers.....:icon_thumright:
  2. Mr. B

Mr. B English...not so good

[Apr 4, 2012]
    I'm pretty sure it's your battery. My did that before the battery died.
    MrWhItEwOlF likes this.
  3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Apr 4, 2012]
    Couldnt of looked to far as I found some on my initial search online.

Anyway, probably car battery needs replacing.
  4. sleeper.

sleeper. New Member

[Apr 4, 2012]
    Hi snipe.
    Really! thing is the car still turns over everymorning and does a 64 mile round trip and it been doing this for a good few months
    ill charge the spare up and drop in on and see how it goes. ill also look if there is a drain on it while its turned off.

NHN, cheers, can you post the link to were it states the clock changes on its own because the battery is dying although everything else works fine. Just want to save the link for furture reference. As you say, it might be...dont want to buy a brand new battery if it not that, so was after a definative answer.
    Cannot believe ive not seen this but two pair of eyes are better than one!
  5. NHN

[Apr 4, 2012]
    If thats Sarcasm I'm reading, then that doesnt work here, if not, then fair enough :)

Dont need a link to understand the basics, although I knew about this already, I did a search out of curiosity with the line, "audi clock keeps resetting" & got info of what I suspected.

But, lets look at the evidence, the car is 04, batteries are usually rated for 5 years or so & the 8P ones do run out of steam at about 5-6 sometimes depending on usage, location, weather etc, usually varta blue are used now & varta were used back then, some do last for many years more, some dont, yours is now 8yrs nearly, so chances are its getting old, also your clock keeps changing, now older batteries can sometimes drop power for a little while & come back, cant explain as I'm not a battery major, but thus when the car loses power to all or one of the systems, hence cluster, the clock resets to 00.00 & then runs on from there, hence your clock keeps resetting itself due to battery losing power, common for allot of different cars tbh.

The other explanations are you have a radio clock module fitted & this is problematic or your cluster has issues.

I'm betting on battery atm as radio clock modules dont seem to be fitted in UK cars.
  6. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Apr 4, 2012]
    but are you sure its the battery ?
    id like to see the link i cant find to see if it says its the battery ?:bye:
  7. sleeper.

sleeper. New Member

[Apr 4, 2012]
    NHN, nope, not sarcams, dont see the point, just been looking for this a while and wondered what part i missed. as ive been getting 2+2=3
    The battery has been change a few times due the the fan running on (another issue) Reading what you have wrote about the battery dropping then coming back is interesting, not something ive ever thought about. So looks like some things may be prioritised? and possible markers show up. This one being the clock resetting.
    This clock resetting has been going on for around 2 years on and off and want to get to the bottom of it and battery have been changed, But the fan running on and causing a big drain may be the route cause
    I will change the battery for the fully charged one and see what happens over the next few weeks, as the clock sets itself quite alot lately.
    Thanks for the info and again no sarcasm intended.

Bez101, please read above
  8. NHN

[Apr 4, 2012]
    Ok no worries, lol.

Of course I cant be 100% sure & even less across the internet without a car in front to diagnose, but from my experience of same said issue even wth non audi's years back & number of times I've read the same, plus I've had a low battery from my modding number of times on my cars & others with xenons being left on & clock resets each time, this leads me to believe its the case, its 1 thing to discount imho, now also could be something draining it down when not in use, some audi radio's are known to do this aswell as bluetooth units, so if its not the battery, then another module is still holding a load whilst not in use.
    MrWhItEwOlF likes this.
  9. MrWhItEwOlF

MrWhItEwOlF Audi A3 Sport 1.6 2006

[Apr 5, 2012]
    I agree with NHN verdict that its just the Battery and the alternator in a car I always thought charged the battery back up? and also from my dad who thought of it before me when I started having issues said straight away without me evening finishing the sentence that the battery needs replacing and when I said it was fine and I could just recharge it he said that could sort the problem out for a few months but then when your stuck in a middle of no where and can't turn the engine over your better off just replacing a battery that is over 5 years old (mine was 06 and started acting up last year) as it will never properly hold its charge that well once it starts to get too old :) and once I changed it over its been perfect ever since :D

And I know it may seem like wasting money but its like the HID kits you can get for A3 8P at £20 they may work fine for 3-6months or longer but sooner or later it will fitz the wiring and fry the wiper motor which is a £300+ fix. its better to go OEM and pay for a full works knowing that it will be fine than playing cheap and safe to try and save money for it to come and bite you in the ass :D
  10. audigex

audigex Active Member

[Apr 5, 2012]
    Never used a TV remote control where the batteries go, but then work again a moment later?

As a battery runs low on juice, it can lose the ability to supply constant power or just cut out intermittently, but then work fine a moment later. In some ways it's easier for the battery to supply a larger current for a moment to start the car (bigger draw "pulls" the current) than it is for the battery to supply a couple of mA for hours at a time. It only needs to stop supplying power for a few seconds for the clock to reset.
  11. sleeper.

sleeper. New Member

[Apr 5, 2012]
    Cheers for the input and knowledge guys.
    Ill do the swap and i should really know quite soon, will report back
  12. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Apr 5, 2012]
    Where is the faith nowadays??? so much discussion and no action :undwech: