1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. slade777

slade777 Member

For the few that visit the A1 section quick note. If you haven't yet experienced the 185 A1 do!!!! I've got one as a courtesy car today whilst my A3 2.0tdi is in. Im so impressed the feel grip and pure pulling power from a 1.4.

Recently went out in the Abarth Essesse which is a kitten compared to this car. I think the STronic gearbox is the best invention ever and wish they put it on the 2.0tdi A1.

I hasten to add so far after approx 2 hours of town driving and a blip up the bypass following a BMW 135i I'm getting 22 mpg. Not great but I've only got it for one day. (I have not exceeded any of her majesty's speed limits) :)

5/5 for the A1 185ps. Shame I'll have to have the diesel version.

2. slade777

slade777 Member

Ps when the S1 or RS1 do finally make an appearance it must be Quattro as the ESP light is constantly flashing doing it's job.

3. jdas03

jdas03 Member

I test drove one over the weekend as i'm considering one for a replacement on my 8L S3.
    I must say it was a beautifully built car! Loads of kit, a very nice place to be!
    However I wasnt that impressed by the speed, maybe its me being spoilt by a remapped S3 but I was hoping it would throw you back in your seat more than it did!
    That said it did handle fantastically and I took it round the lanes at some speed on the demo perhaps scaring the test guy a little bit!

I am planning to test the abarth essence (however you spell it) as i thought that maybe more fun, but sounds like you much preferred the A1?

4. slade777

slade777 Member

Wasn't impressed by the Abarth atall. It's very poorly built. My mate has a Punto Evo sporting which actually has nicer cabin.

A1 all day long over the Abaryh or Vauxhall Corsa VXR over the Abarth. Friends just bought a Vxr for 16,700 new which is a good price from Perrys Group!!