A warning to those who want LED number plate lights

roston100

Reaction score
Ive seen on here a thread linking to an ebay seller who sells LED number plate lights that wont give an error code. I decided to buy them and fitted them with no problems - they looked fantastic, a big improvement in look and in light!

That was 3 weeks ago and today I took my car for its MOT - it failed :-( Reason being that my number plate lights had stopped working! I couldnt work out why so decided to just get some new original bulbs but they wouldnt work either, I then checked all the fuses and they were fine. I then spoke to my brother who works on VW/Audi and he said it is likely that the computer would have turned the lights off as they are not suitable and that I would need to use VCDS to remove the fault code and get the lights working again. Luckily for me he has that software and he was spot on - error code came up on his laptop and with the click of a button the lights were sorted again (using original bulbs). If I didnt know someone with that software then I could have been looking at a trip to Audi to get it sorted.

Certainly wont be putting the LEDs back in thats for sure!

I've had a problem with non error leds for the sidelights - intermittently they'd work. I contacted the ebay seller a he has sent me a different sort...dont think i'll bother with them now!

Uve just been unlucky. Contact t8ups if u want some proper LEDs that wont give u problems.

Reactions: Sayam
Uve just been unlucky. Contact t8ups if u want some proper LEDs that wont give u problems.

Is that long term? They worked perfectly at first but over time caused problems.

The warning still stands though - if people buy them, they should make sure they work a few weeks later before purchasing or they could end up with a nice bill at Audi!

if you turn the car off, put normal bulbs back in and swich the ignition back on then it will work again, dont need vcds to swich them back on, the error will go from your dash but the fault will be logged in VCDS with a date and time of when it 1st occoured.

why not purchase the OEM Audi LED's they sell?

Trups

if you turn the car off, put normal bulbs back in and swich the ignition back on then it will work again, dont need vcds to swich them back on, the error will go from your dash but the fault will be logged in VCDS with a date and time of when it 1st occoured.

why not purchase the OEM Audi LED's they sell?

Trups

Not the case. We disconnected the battery to see if it would work as my brother didnt have his computer with him. It made no odds - had to use VCDS to solve it.

i use genuine a5 number plate bulbs in mine had um in for over 6 months no probs

Reactions: dancupra225
OK, so before we all start patting each other on the back ... those of you with late 2010 and early 2011 cars with the BCM module version 615 ... these OEM modules won't work. Use Search.

I used just plain simple LED bulbs without canbus & hard wired one original standard bulb inside the boot lid. They will only stop working when the standard bulb blows & it'll throw the error up but will be a simple fix

OK, so before we all start patting each other on the back ... those of you with late 2010 and early 2011 cars with the BCM module version 615 ... these OEM modules won't work. Use Search.
+1

Those cars equipped with that particular version cannot use the OEM LED units as the CANBUS system throws a wobbly and the module version does not support coding out the monitoring of the circuit via VCDS.

ive had t8ups lights in mine with no problems as have my mates since audis in the park wouldnt use anyone else

Anyone know if there is any LED's that will work on a 62 plate RS3? Before anyone shouts I have searched, there is so much conflicting information out there now though!

I tried the A5 units with no luck. Couldnt be coded to work apparently.

I have a 2010 S3.

Ive got a 2009 S3, what is the situation with these? Would the A5 LED's work?

I just bought the genuine audi LED's straight from audi, cost £30 for both, threw an error at first and they were off and on, but that was because the original screw was slightly out, bought some hex screws and screwed them in as far as possible, lights now work perfectly with no errors, never needed software.

I have some trups LEDs but not sure how to take existing bulbs out. Is it just brute strength or are they special screws and I need to get replacements?

Not the case. We disconnected the battery to see if it would work as my brother didnt have his computer with him. It made no odds - had to use VCDS to solve it.

Worst case scenario you could of reset it with a v gate 450. I have one and it was about £40 from amazon (cheaper than any diagnostic test at a garage) and that will reset any fault code in any enabled module.

So I now have LED units (I think the same referred to by the OP - each unit has 6 LEDs) in my car - all working fine for now and first time I've been able to get plug and play LEDs to work without errors. I have the BCM 615 version. Lets see how long they last.

I just bought the genuine audi LED's straight from audi, cost £30 for both, threw an error at first and they were off and on, but that was because the original screw was slightly out, bought some hex screws and screwed them in as far as possible, lights now work perfectly with no errors, never needed software.

The main problem with fitting the new Audi A5 led's in, is the contacts which needs to be bent out to match (or there abouts) the original one's.I have a feeing they are only just making contact - hence the extra tightening of the screws.

Anyone know if there is any LED's that will work on a 62 plate RS3? Before anyone shouts I have searched, there is so much conflicting information out there now though!

My thoughts exactly. I have recently purchased a TDI Sportback (2010 plate) and one thing I would like to do is to change the number plate bulbs to a 'whiter' light, but have not seen many normal bulbs that would provide this, just LED'S. Even 'error free' canbus compatible bulbs don't seem to work as they still bring an error up on the dash. I have also searched but as you say, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

There is a fix fella, will find my original post but the oem leds and a number plate wire does the trick.

My thoughts exactly. I have recently purchased a TDI Sportback (2010 plate) and one thing I would like to do is to change the number plate bulbs to a 'whiter' light, but have not seen many normal bulbs that would provide this, just LED'S. Even 'error free' canbus compatible bulbs don't seem to work as they still bring an error up on the dash. I have also searched but as you say, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

I've read pretty much all the number plate LED threads on here, tried all possible combinations and these are my findings.

2009 and earlier seem to work with no errors, be it bulb replacements in OEM housing, or complete unit replacements bought from eBay vendors.

2010 and 2011 models require load balancing on the circuit due to VCDS software used unable to code out LED use. This link has a manufactured resistor using OEM male and female connectors to bridge the circuit. No cutting, no splicing, just plug and play. You will need to remove your inner boot liner to fit this:

Adapter plate LEDs Audi A4 B6, B7 / Audi A3 8P-39298-1

I know it works because I have one, and it's for sale for £30. It cost me £35 after delivery from Germany.

If you have a 2012 model like me, then you code out the LEDs, like Trups from this forum has done for me. It's a 2 minute job, just a tick in the correct box on the software.

Job done. The hard way.