1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A small disaster..

Oddie Sep 20, 2012

1. Oddie

Oddie Member

I purchased a number plate light reversing camera a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. I went out last night and had a look at how i am going to install it and ended up taking the trim off the inside of the boot lid to gain access to the nuts that hold the number plate light assembly in.

Whilst trying to remove one of the nuts i somehow managed to drop a spanner and a 10mm bit ! Now they are stuck in the boot lid and won't come out. Every time i close the boot lid you can hear the spanner and the bit moving around, it is going to drive me crazy !

The boot lid is double skinned and ofcourse I cannot get my hands to where the spanner and bit has fell to. The only way i can see of getting them back out is to remove the boot lid completely and tilt it upside down until they fall out.

Wish i wouldn't have started now ! :(

2. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

magnet

3. Oddie

Oddie Member

I cant get my hands down anywhere near to where they are though ? I can hear roughly where they are but there doesn't seem to be any access to that area, its all double skinned.

4. Joe_Murphy21187

Joe_Murphy21187 Tiptronic

You can get telescopic magnets, just depends how far into the lid it had fallen and whether you can get it in far enough...?

If you take it off you will have to disconnect wiring, hinges and the struts, might be more trouble than it's worth. Spend a couple of hours attempting to get it out with a magnet before you resort to that... IMO

5. Joe_Murphy21187

Joe_Murphy21187 Tiptronic

6. Oddie

Oddie Member

I think i might go to Halfords tonight and have a go with one of those first then. Thanks for the input

7. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Telescopic magnet is one of the most useful tools you can have with these cars as nothing seems to be accessible anymore. I got a Rolson one from Maplin and it's been invaluable. Magnet is huge.

8. Oddie

Oddie Member

Cheers Warren, i noticed that Halfords sell the Rolson one so i may well opt for that. Just hope i can get the *******s out without having to take the boot off.

9. Oddie

Oddie Member

Well i went and bought one of the magnetic pickup tools last night and after about 20 minutes of swearing and shouting i finally got them out ! Thanks to all that contributed, much appreciated.

10. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

see if it can get in there it can come back out
    i know and it took longer than 20 mins

11. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

Just persist in it,I lost an item and after a few days of swearing and threatening to use oxyacetylene I got it out.

12. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

How about this then :

I had my rear screen (Avant model) put through at work by the Gardeners when a stone was fired into the window from a petrol driven strimmer.
    Sure the window was repaired but now after two years I can still here the odd rattle of broken glass whenever I close the tailgate.
    I have had the tailgate panel off several times and still i get the odd glass rattle .

Paul B7

13. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Yeap same here, had a car for 3-4 years & since day one had glass rattling in bootlid, found some more other day, even after removing what I thought was all of it.

Also a coat hanger with double sided sticky tape on end is useful in hard to get to areas.