A really simple one for AndyMac or anyone else with a B5...

FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
A friend of mine has just called me; he's planning to start a bit of an install in his B5 A4 and wants to get into the speaker enclosures on the back shelf - I've not got the benefit of having seen them - are they straightforward to take apart? (It's a V-plate saloon).

Thanks and regards,

Rob.

cant remember on my ex-a4, i didnt have the folding rear seat, so had to take out the rear seat. I suspect it would have been a whole lot easier if you could just fold the seats down.

Yes, easy if your seats fold down.
You just prise up the carpeted bit of the rear shelf, it's held on with white plastic poppers, then slide it towards you, unplug the cyclops brake light and the whole thing slides out giving you access to the speakers.
The speakers are non standard fitment so you'll need to buy adapter rings to fit anything else and if it's the non Bose system then the rear amp is attached to the left rear speaker so you need to have another amp, or rewire the speakers to a HU that has rear output (the Audi HU's only have front speaker outputs).
I fitted custom fit Pioneers a few years back which just slotted in, but the sound quality isn't good even running off a seperate amp, so I have the system faded forward most of the time, but do have a seperate sub which is a must.

Blimey, Andymac, if I'd realised it was that easy to access the rears if you've got a folding seat, I'd have tried it myself.

Factionone, I don't know if your friend has chosen his speakers yet, but I can heartily recommend Kenwood Dual-mags for the rears.

slightly off topic. Why is it some rear seats fold and some don't? Mine don't so had a much bigger job getting the rear speakers out!

folding rear seats were, believe it or not, an optional extra - ****** daft if you ask me.

Means that i have more space in the back of my S3 than in the back of my old A4..

Thanks for the help folks; he does have a split rear-seat, so it's nice and easy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again,

Rob.